• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drumnerd33 noob build

What welding method are you using? I see a lot of spatter... But like you said, takes a lot of practice... That's pretty much how I learned.

Overall though, cool project. Hope everything works out for ya!

So any suggestions cuz I have no idea what I'm doing, just need some guidance so I can learn. Like what difference does the size of the rod make? And how far away should I hold the rod once I start the arc?

thats cool. i learned with oxy-acetylene. a good friend casually learned to weld with 110v fluxcore. and had results similar to you'res. months later, he retryd. this time with 220v shielded. with minimal instructions from me (not the best welder). he was laying some nice stuff.... do people even use arc welding on jeeps fabrication? besides trail repairs?

also, dont make the mistake of trying to make stuff while 'learning'. everyone wants to start making stuff... but why? if it's un-useable, why bother? start with small peices of scrap in various orientation. also, make sure you get an autodarkening helmet, they do help significantly.

otherwise, im loving your build, keep the pics comin!

Yeah I got the auto dark helmet... It's the only way to go, and yes I'm just using scrap I hot from work to practice with.. Nut I really need to get the spring hangers re welded... It's really holding me up right now

so my biggest question is do i need to get smaller rod to weld these..
180604.jpg

i really dont know what the size of rod changes in the weld? im guessing just the size of the bead

With a smaller rod you can run lower amps, which would make it easier to weld thinner material. 1/8" rod should be fine.

Here is the parameters chart I got from my welding class when I learned arc.

img437.jpg

Right on thanks that helps. I also talked to an ironworker at work today and I was pushing the stuck forward and he said that will cause lots a spatter... He said I'm supposed to drag it

I'm really liking the build so far. However, having learned to weld with Oxy/Ace in high school, and just recently learning MIG with shielding gas, there are three things I will never weld on. Suspension, steering, and a full gas tank. At least not until I get a lot better. Thats just me though.

Keep the pictures coming! I've subscribed!

Well my only other option is those brackets from poly perfermance.... So I figured I would try and weld it and if it isn't looking good then I will replace the brackets

well heres my second try at welding, much better results after some tips from an iron worker..
190154.jpg

still some spatter but alot of that is from all the welding im doing is in the basic same area, but much better penetration and better bead
190205.jpg

190226.jpg

so, tell me what you think and if im on the right track.

oh yeah and i also had my first welding casualty...
191129.jpg

i guess he saw the pretty light... lol he didnt even see it comin just flew in and landed...:skull2:

well heres some more pics but broke my camera tonight so... gotta get a new one

heres a new sticker...lol

175244.jpg

starting to install the reciever into my bumper

191130.jpg

191137.jpg

191144.jpg

191301.jpg

well thats when i dropped my camera....#*^&*#$.........oh well
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

got my hd shackle relocation brackets and did the install tonight..

first i made some bolt srips to make it a little easier to get the bolts into the holes and keep them from turning in the frame, so i cut some metal to length and then put them inside the frame and marked the holes, then i drilled them out for 1/2" bolts
192335.jpg

192348.jpg

then i put the nuts on to hold them in place so i could weld them
194711.jpg

they fit perfect and made this alot easier
195655.jpg

then i cut the stock shackle mounts and notched them so i could bend the lip in
204236.jpg

204246.jpg

and here is the finished product
203202.jpg

now just waiting on the shackles to come in and im ready to put in my rear axle and do a test run....:clap:

Excellent! Are you going to weld the shackle mount to the old mount, or do you think they are going to be strong enough and have zero play with just bolts?

Back