• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drones

We all need to start standing up for our rights, just like these people. I think its a great idea.

Why are they limiting it to federal drones?

What about state, county, or even private drones?

The FAA routinely designates restricted flying areas all over the U.S.--I suggest they make a "No Drone Zone" around this town.

Why are they limiting it to federal drones?

What about state, county, or even private drones?

The FAA routinely designates restricted flying areas all over the U.S.--I suggest they make a "No Drone Zone" around this town.

Guess my concern would be what about those who own hobby grade R/C Planes? I sure as hell would be pissed if I also flew planes and one mine got shot out of the sky by some paranoid twit.

This is what got me:

"Shooters must use shotguns, 12 gauge or smaller, firing lead, steel or depleted uranium ammunition."

Where do you even get depleted uranium rounds?
I knew a guy who worked at a place that made tank rounds out of that stuff, full on radiation badge and monthly exposure scans!

I saw that and thought it was an "Interesting; but Stupid" moment in that towns history.

It's a symbolic gesture,. It's when like one of our local Mayor's tried to make the ownership of guns illegal in the City. He knew, and the City Council knew going in that the Ordinance was illegal in WI, yet, they did it anyway to make political points with the Anti-Gun folks.

However, if more towns and Cities around the nation would impose No-Fly Zones for Military and Civil Drones, the Administration would get the point. The FAA doesn't really want Drones - They are being pushed by the Military and Police to allow them.

I saw a quote by a local ACLU Member talking about cameras and lic plate scanning. He indicated that Authorities figure that the only place you have a right to privacy is within the confine of your own home.

That seems to be the prevailing attitude in the early Millennium :(

..,Where do you even get depleted uranium rounds?
The Iranians probably have a lot of DU laying around with no use for it. Maybe you could ask them?
Edit:
Couple of thoughts
Shooters must use shotguns, 12 gauge or smaller, firing lead, steel or depleted uranium ammunition, and they can’t fire on aircraft flying higher than 1,000. No weapons with rifled barrels allowed, and no tracer rounds.
Do they even make shotgun tracer rounds?

Anyone ever seen a shotgun with a range of more then a couple hundred yards with slugs? Legislating 1K feet AGL is kind of redundant.

I guess rifled barrels wouldn't matter. You'd be shooting custom slugs. Probably something like a BRI sabot. Making them fin stabilized wouldn't be a huge challenge.(Ah, that's where the tracer prohibition comes in!)

Greenpeace is already waging a low-grade war against lead projectiles. Imagine their reaction to DU. :D

I think there's a federal law that only allows lead,copper, or brass alloys for pistol and rifle projectiles. There is an exemption for shot. It can also be made from steel and bismuth alloys. I don't know if the shot exemption covers slugs, but it probably doesn't cover DU.

Oh yeah,.. the big one: Most of the stuff the military and CIA use only come within a thousand feet of the ground during takeoff and landing. Even if there's drone operations at the local airport, standing on the end of the runway with a shotgun is probably going to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Last edited:
Back