• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving West.

You guys driving from the east coast to the west coast and wheelin and driving back amazes me. I am heading to Moab in 5 days and I am towing my Tj out. I put 4 new tires and wheel on the trailer and keeping 3 of the old ones for spares. The trailer has been double checked and lubed and the duramax is getting the oil changed today.
What would you do if you break something major while while wheelin out there?

You guys driving from the east coast to the west coast and wheelin and driving back amazes me. I am heading to Moab in 5 days and I am towing my Tj out. I put 4 new tires and wheel on the trailer and keeping 3 of the old ones for spares. The trailer has been double checked and lubed and the duramax is getting the oil changed today.

Have all my stuff shipped to me and take up residence. :)

Whoops, broke a shaft. I'll just have to live here. Darn...

Clint Eastwood said:
A man's got to know his limitations.

Okay, in all seriousness..... it all depends on what you're prepared to fix. I drove from Chicago to Moab, towing a 1 ton pop-up camper for 3 different Fall Flings. Carried the usual spares, and did not do the more difficult obstacles because I wasn't ready to shell out for rebuilt axles, transfer cases, etc. It's still a lot of fun.

A friend of mine was out there in his TJ 10 years, and stripped the teeth off the rear ring & pinion gears. Yes, there are shops in town that stock replacements, and can install them. He was ready to pay the price.

I'm prepared to tackle a trip like this because it is falling in place perfectly. Being 20 and going to College I can take those 13 days off and travel. That is why I'm trying to cross this off my list early since I know the older I get the harder it will be to go. I will have an emergency fund for it if anything major happens, but since I'm driving my rig out there and it's all my DD, I won't be doing any extreme trails or obstacles. I will be sticking the more scenic and moderate/easy trails(rating4-6).

I agree with Jeff, in that if you prepare for most situations, it's usually not a problem. I've stripped the front R&P before but with 2wd stubs and no drive shaft, I made it the 7 hour drive home. With this trip, I'll be a little more careful with what I do but I know it's still a once in a lifetime trip that I don't want to miss.

Here's to Moab!!! :cheers:

BTW, This is my 1st trip that far out west and even with all that I have done to get ready I am still nervous.
My hat is off to you guys that drive it out, wheel and drive it back.

I'm a wuss, If I ever do it I'd be more prone to spend a few more bucks, ship the Jeep out there to a friends house, then fly out, wheel and fly back.

But then I'd miss the experience of the drive thru all the states... That seems like half the fun.

In 5 more years I'll have 3 weeks of vacation. Then perhaps I can justify taking that many days off in a row. That's always been my big hold up.

I can either take a bunch of days off to go on a wheeling trip that the kids aren't really going to enjoy or I can take a bunch of days off and go on a trip that the kids will enjoy but not both.

I say family first!!!
This year we are driving out with a bud and his family and we will Condo it while there. Luckily we can take our time and hit a couple Colorado trails on the way back. Time is not a big issue with the wife and I... we are old ;) kids are on their own.
MOAB is a great place to wheel and visit. I say make it count when you do get to go.

Yeah, I imagine the soonest I'll be able to do that is about 20 years from now when this unborn child moves out of the house and I have 6 weeks of vacation... lol

I had my tcase out of my jeep in the parking lot f a motel in Moab. No big deal... Lol. Couple hours and some new hardware later it was back in and I kept wheeling.

I don't want to hear it. I've been packed to leave for the Crawl twice and something always comes up...

I've been a member here for 6 years and not made one single Crawl. The new OP here is not even 20 yet and headed to Moab. My priorities must be screwed up. Either that or my Dad's in the wrong line of business.

I knew man, just busting your balls is all! Been looking forward to harassing you in person! :D

What happens if your truck breaks? I'm carrying spare parts and spare money for things that may break. I'm not running insane obstacles if I'm driving it from Indiana. I've put 38k miles on my Jeep in the 3.5 years I've owned it and the only break down was a blown power steering pump. Which was replaced in a couple hours and I was back on my way.

Ask Andy from PA about a nightmare trip. Thought he blew a Detroit on the way to Moab, then found out it was only a u-joint. Then he found out he'd been driving with a cracked AW4 bellhousing for a long time.

I don't want to hear it. I've been packed to leave for the Crawl twice and something always comes up...

I've been a member here for 6 years and not made one single Crawl. The new OP here is not even 20 yet and headed to Moab. My priorities must be screwed up. Either that or my Dad's in the wrong line of business.

I will be at the Crawl this year. :party:

Moab is on my bucket list. Might drive the JK out there and do the easy stuff. My XJ could make it but it would be a long ride in that rig.

I will be at the Crawl this year. :party:

Moab is on my bucket list. Might drive the JK out there and do the easy stuff. My XJ could make it but it would be a long ride in that rig.

Good news, looking forward to meeting you and checking out your rig! :cheers:

What happens if your truck breaks? I'm carrying spare parts and spare money for things that may break. I'm not running insane obstacles if I'm driving it from Indiana. I've put 38k miles on my Jeep in the 3.5 years I've owned it and the only break down was a blown power steering pump. Which was replaced in a couple hours and I was back on my way.

Sure, your vehicle may break down,...then again it may not. Years ago, I rented a car in Kansas to drive to Connecticut. It broke down in Virginia. Got that replaced and the replacement broke near the Connecticut / New York state line. Got that replaced and put 20,000 miles on the replacement.

I drove my XJ from Miami, FL to Des Moines IA more than 1,600 miles one way, worked there 10 months driving 200 to 400 miles per week and drive back to Miami with no problems what so ever. I also drove many times to the North East to visit family who live in NY, CT and MA then drive back to Miami.

What I am saying is, things may and sometimes do brake. Prepare for it but do not stress it. If you plan a trip, know your vehicle's strength and weaknesses and drive it accordingly. I wish I had the gas money. If I did, I would not think twice about driving the XJ from Miami, FL to Moab and back. Then again, on OHV parks with trails rated from 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult, I would not do anything more difficult than 6.

Hey, nothing beat having a big comfy tow rig.

Back