• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft u joints

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
hi i was wondering if any of you guys have ever herd anything about the driveshaft u-joints straps the ones the look like u a bolt comes with 2 washers and nuts. I was wondering whats the verdict with these are they good or not will they fit my 88 cherekee 4WD
how do i know what size my u-joints will take?

ok but will the retainer straps i have fit the u-joints the look like a U just like it with two washers and bolts to goon the back i guess.

ok but will the retainer straps i have fit the u-joints the look like a U just like it with two washers and bolts to goon the back i guess.

What language is this ????????
Are you trying to replace u-shaped bolts like this?
U-BOLTS.jpg

Or are you trying to replace these?
AXLE%20&%20DIFFERENTIAL%20U%20JOINT%20STRAPS.jpg

My 1991 XJ has the straps not the u-bolts.
They are not interchangable.

Last edited:
i am trying to replace the bottom picture those are the original straps that come with the jeep right?
but they are hard 2 find, so i got the ones in the top picture the u-bolts will they work the same or even fit for that matter and how many will i need

They are not interchangeable. If you have the u-bolt style, you have to stay with that. See how the u-bolt ones pass through the yoke and receive a nut on the end. The strap style uses bolts which fit in to the yoke which is threaded. The good news is that if you break the u-bolt ones, you just put a new one on. If you break off the bolt kind, you have to try to get the broken bolt out or replace the yoke. I'd say the u-bolt style is better because of that.

Thanks for the pics dennis.

You are lucky! Your u-joint has a zerk fitting. It can be greased with a grease gun. Either pick up a grease gun or take it into an old style service station where they have that shit and get it greased. That is what the extra stuff on the u-joint is. Not to worry. It's good. Move the driveshaft back and forth by hand. If you don't see free play, you are good. Most of the joints end up going dry because the newer ones don't have grease fittings.

The other picture of the slight leak (looks like transmission fluid) doesn't look that bad. Does it leave a stain eveywhere you park it? Keep an eye on all your axle and transmission fluid levels. If you always need to add more, or if your friends complain when you park in their drivesways, I wouldn't worry much about it. A little oil underneath slows down the rust anyway. LOL

well it doesnt really leave any stains i never see stain that far back but i hate potential problems i want this thing to last till i can get a newer one at a reasonable price
but in the meantime i gotta get dirty ti prevent problems

but about the u-joints there not bad?
i keep hearing this scraping kind of noise when i make hard turns
or sometimes slow turns too.
the thing that would have me change the u-joints on the druve shaft are i already change the u-joints on the axels and the feeling really comes from underneath me
so i guess i was fishing.
should i grease them though i do have a grease gun i just find very hard to get to the fitting.

i am trying to replace the bottom picture those are the original straps that come with the jeep right?
but they are hard 2 find, so i got the ones in the top picture the u-bolts will they work the same or even fit for that matter and how many will i need

Dude, search the net, they are $7.00 per set brand new: right click the picture I posted to see the WEB site that sells them.
And listen to the advice you received on the other forum..
Learn to type and spell! lol Need more information to help ya out.

Last edited:
As long as you keep your oil levels up, a leak will not reduce vehicle longevity.

You got to turn the driveshafts to the right spot to get to the fitting, then just put in grease until a little spits out. You may need a smaller grease gun tip. As far as scraping on turns, have you looked at your motor and transmission mounts? Try to pry the motor and transmission around with a 2x4 and look for free movement. The u-joints that are likely to show up as noises or roughness in sharp turns are the ones in the front axle shafts, not the driveshafts.

Back