• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive train weird after re gear

johnnyfitz14

NAXJA Forum User
So i just got my jeep re geared to 4.88s.
Now when i press in the clutch and put it in gear it thunks, it only does it the first time sitting still until i move and stop again. It also does not go into gear as easy when shifting unless at higher rpms...
I am running the stock drive shaft could that be the problem? or is it my clutch?

Thanks
John

climb in under your jeep with it in neutral and the safety brake on and grab the rear drive shaft and try to spin it in both directions if it moves alot the tolerance in the gears may not be set right

I would have whoever did your gears check their work! If your drive to the shop was fine and then problematic afterwards then my guess is they owe you that!

Regearing really has no bearing on clutch engagement or shifting. Shifting and gear engagement is a function of the clutch, tranny internals, and all associated shifter linkage.

My earlier comment was in response to the suggestion that turning the driveshaft be hand might yield some relevant info.

Reguardless, his Jeep was fine before the install and not afterwards. The shop owes him a look see. Not only that but my hunch is the thunk is when he first takes off/torque applied to the drivetrain..........

If the problem started with the gears, then definitely have them take another look. Sometimes problems will start after gears are installed that don't indicate a bad setup- like a vibration that used to happen at 80 shows up at 70 since the driveshaft's now spinning faster. But this doesn't sound like that sort of issue.

I checked out my drive shaft i had a friend engage the clutch and put it in gear, the drive shaft moves about a 1/4 of a turn is that right?
Thats where the thunk is coming from... I think i have a bad ujoint

. I think i have a bad ujoint

Confirm the problem before forking out more cash. The shop you had the gears done may be willing to look as see for free!

Moving the driveshaft/yoke isn't going to tell you much. You really need to have the backlash and pattern checked if you suspect a bad gear installation.

may never told you much but, with problems ive had brought to me told me plenty if i could spin is 1/4 to 1/2 way around. you know there not suppose to be that much play there for you get a clunk when put in gear.

I checked out my drive shaft i had a friend engage the clutch and put it in gear, the drive shaft moves about a 1/4 of a turn is that right?
Thats where the thunk is coming from... I think i have a bad ujoint

If you keep driving and start to get some on-gas vibes I am thinking it is likely a bad ujoint... I experienced a similar problem when putting mine in drive - I would get a clunk every so often. After a week or two I started getting bad vibes and dropped the shaft, ujoint fell out it was torn up so badly.

Couldn't hurt to check there... but I imagine it wouldn't solve any clutch or gear issues, just the clunk.

So i called the shop and talked to him he said its my locker pre loading, its a spartan. But he told me if it bugs me to much he will make sure everything is right.

Not sure I buy that??? I know the autos tend to be a little quirky but a THUNK........ that does not sound like preload. If I could see for myself what your Jeep is doing I could say for sure but I still have to say it's not preload.

Back