• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive train Q's

XJ longhouse

NAXJA Forum User
im looking at buying a new xj, but i want a 5-speed and i want a np231, but most of the 97 and newer i've found only have an auto tranny, so is there a year where jeep mated a AW-4 with a np231? and whats the deal with lifting a np242, is there any changes you have to do like differant drive lines?

You should look through the old threads, study the FAQ section, (http://naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165) and use the search function to learn more.

The AW-4 was the only auto tranny the 4.0L was equipped with. The 4.0L - AW-4 - NP231 is the most common version of the Cherokee you will find. The NP242 has fewer option for an SYE but works fine on and off road. The changes you will have to make to the drive line or suspension vary depending on what you want to do with your lifted Cherokee and how big of a lift you choose.

Last edited:
Back