• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft U-joint ?

pcoakley5

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled the U-joints out of my front drive shaft because of bad noise.
(98) XJ W/4-1/2" lift & 33" tires. After I got the Double Cardan set apart, I found the little ball & race are completely wasted. Is this a dealer only part?
Do I have to replace the entire setup or only the guts? Any Idea on the cost?

Thanks a bunch for any info/experience!

when mine was toasted - my local driveshaft said it would be cheaper to buy a new shaft than to cut the end off my existing shaft and weld a new double cardan on there...

no its not a dealer only part...

Grab a low mileage parts yard front driveshaft and throw some new u-joints in there... then carry your old one as a spare

or go like i did and order one from Rubicon Express for $275.00
that was the best price i could find...

best of luck
-Ranger

Thanks!
Sounds like both Ideas are in my future. Fix the one I have and go get a spare. I was bummed because I'm going to miss a fun ride in Eastern KY tomorrow.

But you can bet I'll be ready for the next trip!
Take care and Thanks again!

Local driveshaft shop around here has that part; I know because I had to cough up an arm and a leg to replace it after I bumped the thing and sprayed roller bearings all over my garage... Take it to them and they can cross-reference it by the part number and dimensions if needed.

Back