• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilled box for hydraulic assist, now....

finn188

NAXJA Forum User
i rebuilt my steering box on my 91 cherokee after it started leaking out the steering input shaft (i know thats not the official name but bare with me).
i decided to go ahead and tap into the box for hydro assist which will be installed in the near future. so my problem is this: after pluging the holes i drilled, rebuilding and adjusting the box, reinstalling it, and refilling with fluid/ cycling the steering about 100 times to get the air out, the steering is stiff for about a full turn of the wheel (from where straight would be to 1/2 turn left, 1/2 turn right). other than that it seems to be fine. any ideas on a fix would be much apreciated. thanks in advance for the help!!!

you may have adjusted the sector shaft to tightly

did you put plugs in the holes you tapped?

I have a thoery that the pulgs actually block the passage of the fluid in my steering box and make it worse than just re-building it would have...

I intend (some day) to notch the plugs and make them not protrude into the passage at all...

four_shot- thanks alot. i feel kinda dumb because i adjusted it while on the bench, guess i had it too tight. i backed it out 1/2 turn and wala! i was about to send it off to Westtexas....simple fix but thanks for the reply.

Back