• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dream trip: Rubicon

You may be overthinking this.....

Just put some 32s (or 33s), lockers, rock sliders, tow points and a TC skid on there and go and have some fun. The trail is not very challenging but extremely scenic so bring your camera.

BTW, what is '4 to 1 AA tcase gears'? Unless something is new, I haven't seen that before.

Sorry, I misspoke, I was thinking of the Tera-low kits:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...=Teraflex+TeraLOW+Low+Range+Kits+for+Cherokee

I was thinking Advanced Adapters made them...

Thanks for the pics, Mike and for you thoughts.

In the vid, I posted, those stock, locked rubicons are cruising along the same path (other than the 4th or 5th pic that looks like it might be soup bowl) using 32's with not much issue. Would you say that they simply went in a year where the trail was a bit tamer?

Talked with Mrs. SDO last night and got the nod for lockers, 31's and a full complement of armor. Her thinking was that I could lock it, armor it, use my JKS quicker disco's, and hit some local trails on 31's. (I need new tires in the next month or so, anyways)

She felt like if we needed more than the current 2" lift, we could sell the 31's, buy a lift kit, install it, and find a deal on some gently used 32's-33's.

She saw the wisdom in keeping the lift the same, since I drive it everyday, until I NEED to change it.

You may be overthinking this.....

Just put some 32s (or 33s), lockers, rock sliders, tow points and a TC skid on there and go and have some fun. The trail is not very challenging but extremely scenic so bring your camera.

BTW, what is '4 to 1 AA tcase gears'? Unless something is new, I haven't seen that before.

Btw, yes -I'm a chronic overthinker. Thanks for humoring me! :gag: :)

How do you feel about trimming/bumpstopping?
If you plan on getting larger tires in the near future, I would look for some used 31's, so you don't take such a hit when you sell them.

What gears are you running?

How do you feel about trimming/bumpstopping?
If you plan on getting larger tires in the near future, I would look for some used 31's, so you don't take such a hit when you sell them.

What gears are you running?

3.55s

I'd feel fine about bumpstopping and going to something like napier flares, BW flat flares or maybe even relocated stock flares. Just as long as it looks finished. Don't prefer the " raw cut" look. I like some type of flare to finish off.

Much rather do that that go up in lift height.

Honesty, I WANT to keep my jeep as close to what it is now, if possible, suspension-wise. I like my "super-stock" setup, since it keeps my suspension pretty close to it's original geometry.

If you cut the front under the turn signal like the 97+ are, then the flares can be flipped side to side, so that the long lip on the front can be cut to fit the rocker crease.

how many times have you gone wheeling? i don't mean fire road stuff, but trails like the rubicon in technical dificulty. if you haven't really gone much yet, i'd consider going a few times so you can have a better idea what you want/need, so that you dont spend money on stuff twice.

Good advice dan. Even if you are just riding along with someone in a bigger rig, it will help you to understand what you are up against.

Max made it through on 3.5" and two lockers, but used the heck out of his RR and armor. 2" might be a bit low, and I would worry about stock control arms and such.

6.5" and 37s :gee:

(and a spare front driveline)

how many times have you gone wheeling? i don't mean fire road stuff, but trails like the rubicon in technical dificulty. if you haven't really gone much yet, i'd consider going a few times so you can have a better idea what you want/need, so that you dont spend money on stuff twice.

With this truck, very few times...I had a 04 LJ that got stol'd (arghh) that was fairly built.

Never been to the 'con, but as far as trails, I've done sidewinder and bronco peak a few times (LJ), and crawled the notches @ Ocotillo just playin' around, etc. The XJ is a new rig for me, though.

As far as wheeling to get the experience, it's a great idea, and that's honestly what i'm trying to do.

I've spent my money so far on stuff that I know will work for wherever I end up lift/tire-wise. (winch bumper, M8000, JKS disco's, 8.25 that I'm building in my garage, sliders, skids, etc)

Appreciate the post...

Good advice dan. Even if you are just riding along with someone in a bigger rig, it will help you to understand what you are up against.

Max made it through on 3.5" and two lockers, but used the heck out of his RR and armor. 2" might be a bit low, and I would worry about stock control arms and such.

10-4

Back