• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dove and early goose season

MogifiedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so friday Sept. 1st was the opening for dove and early goose season here in TN. Goose hunting sucked...I didn't kill a single thing. Dove hunting on the other hand was the best I've seen it in years. I killled 90 something inbetween friday and monday.

So post up, who all went and did you do any good???

MogifiedXJ said:
Dove hunting on the other hand was the best I've seen it in years. I killled 90 something inbetween friday and monday.

So post up, who all went and did you do any good???

What the HELL is your limit?, our limit here is 15 per day, and 30 in aggreg...

Edit: my bad, seems you could have killed a few more...:D
TN DWR said:
Dove + (Opens at noon on Sept. 1) Sept. 1
Oct. 7 Daily bag limit 15

I missread the dates... sorry..

Last edited:
MogifiedXJ said:
I killled 90 something inbetween friday and monday.

Nice job!

I went this weekend and didn't see a damned dove where I was. However, I DID see a huge load of quail and pheasants for later in the season. :D

ECKSJAY said:
Nice job!

I went this weekend and didn't see a damned dove where I was. However, I DID see a huge load of quail and pheasants for later in the season. :D

Nice about spotting the quail and pheasants. We normally don't see many dove either, I guess we're not in the fly zone. I've never been quail or pheasant hunting but I've always wanted to. I've been thinking about going out to nebraska or somewhere just to pheasant hunt. You do alot of it? I remember when I was a kid me and my father used to go grouse hunting around the mountains here in TN...it was alot of walking and we normally didn't see shit, but it was still alot of fun anyway. If anything it made for some good memories.

MogifiedXJ said:
Nice about spotting the quail and pheasants. We normally don't see many dove either, I guess we're not in the fly zone. I've never been quail or pheasant hunting but I've always wanted to. I've been thinking about going out to nebraska or somewhere just to pheasant hunt. You do alot of it? I remember when I was a kid me and my father used to go grouse hunting around the mountains here in TN...it was alot of walking and we normally didn't see shit, but it was still alot of fun anyway. If anything it made for some good memories.

2mi down the road was lower farmland with LOTS of irrigation canals and trees. Driving in and out of my friend's property I saw hundreds of doves. Problem is I don't know anyone down there and there's no public areas to hunt. That's about to change, however. :D

I miss our spots outside of El Paso where we'd hit our limit of 15 birds in less than 20 minutes. I was buying shells by the caseload during the season. :D

ECKSJAY said:
I was buying shells by the caseload during the season. :D

lol. I wish I would have done that. I forgot to buy dove loads friday so I used my 3 1/2" BB goose loads all day friday, then I shot all day saturday, sunday, and monday...my shoulder is still black and blue.

Goose huh, come up here to NJ and PA, all you need is a 6 or 8 cell mag-lite then just walk thru the business park parking lots and whack them on the head.
My record was 41 in 20 min, used my boot to kick em in the ass walking from the front door of the company I was doing some cisco router configs at to my jeep about halfway thru the parking lot. Normally I would not have bothered but I'd just slipped on to my ass in their shit with my new dockers on while crossing the sidewalk. I quit when I started drawing a crowd...

MogifiedXJ said:
lol. I wish I would have done that. I forgot to buy dove loads friday so I used my 3 1/2" BB goose loads all day friday, then I shot all day saturday, sunday, and monday...my shoulder is still black and blue.

It was so damned fast and furious that we got to the point we'd KNOW whether a bird was just wounded and needed to be tracked down...so we'd mentally count how many we had and retrieve them when we'd count 15. :D

RichP said:
Goose huh, come up here to NJ and PA, all you need is a 6 or 8 cell mag-lite then just walk thru the business park parking lots and whack them on the head.
My record was 41 in 20 min, used my boot to kick em in the ass walking from the front door of the company I was doing some cisco router configs at to my jeep about halfway thru the parking lot. Normally I would not have bothered but I'd just slipped on to my ass in their shit with my new dockers on while crossing the sidewalk. I quit when I started drawing a crowd...

I call bullshit. You didn't do that.

RichP said:

ahahahah...That's great. I wish I could do that down here at the plant, but for some reason I think they would have a major problem with that. I've got a friend who owns a golf course and I kill them off of it all of the time. Apparently he doesn't like them shitting all over the greens.

MogifiedXJ said:
ahahahah...That's great. I wish I could do that down here at the plant, but for some reason I think they would have a major problem with that. I've got a friend who owns a golf course and I kill them off of it all of the time. Apparently he doesn't like them shitting all over the greens.

I've only whacked two with a maglight that got agressive in a parking lot at a place I worked and left them, don't think I killed them as they weren't there whent I came back. Are they actually good eating ?
I don't blame your friend at all, they shit all over the place and ruin play areas, picinic areas, ball fields, pretty much any outdoor area they land at. The place I was at two years ago had to power wash the picnic tables they had outside the assembly area where the workers ate lunch on a regular basis, pretty nasty.

ECKSJAY said:
I call bullshit. You didn't do that.

Come up this way sometime and we'll hit one of the ATT, Lucent or Agere campuses where they number in the thousands at any given time and you have to wade thru the damn things as they move from the grassy areas to the cooling ponds. We even have companies up here that have trucks that will pressure wash and vacumn crap from your parking lots, they are a plague up here.

RichP said:
I've only whacked two with a maglight that got agressive in a parking lot at a place I worked and left them, don't think I killed them as they weren't there whent I came back.

That's not what you said earlier. I knew you'd backpedal. :speepin:

ECKSJAY said:
That's not what you said earlier. I knew you'd backpedal. :speepin:
No, not really, I don't think I've killed any, whacked em, kicked em, assaulted em with my tool bag, umbrella, etc. Kicking them in the butt, chest or whatever else was reachable with sneakers or bucks on has not been fatal from what I've seen.
I have run over a couple though.

RichP said:
No, not really, I don't think I've killed any, whacked em, kicked em, assaulted em with my tool bag, umbrella, etc. Kicking them in the butt, chest or whatever else was reachable with sneakers or bucks on has not been fatal from what I've seen.
I have run over a couple though.

This thread is about hunting.

Shoot, never got out for doves. I always seem to miss opener with some stupid house project or other. Quail in 10 days, though!

Back to my other question, is goose decent to eat ? Never had it so I don't know. I love phesant and wild turkey but never got around to goose or duck for that matter.
Any time of the year they are not good to eat ?
Main reason I ask is that over the past 3 or 4 years more and more are showing up here in the poconos, noticed a freshly harvested corn field this past week that was just covered in them. Might be an option to add the tag to my license.

RichP said:
Back to my other question, is goose decent to eat ? Never had it so I don't know. I love phesant and wild turkey but never got around to goose or duck for that matter.
Any time of the year they are not good to eat ?
Main reason I ask is that over the past 3 or 4 years more and more are showing up here in the poconos, noticed a freshly harvested corn field this past week that was just covered in them. Might be an option to add the tag to my license.
Yeah they're god to eat. It just depends on how you cook it. The only thing I eat is the breast meat...usually injected, mainated, and cooked like a roast. they can be aggresive sometimes. I was bow fishing a couple of years ago and had one that kept attacking me...I ended up shooting it with my bow and using it to catch a couple of turtles on a trot line.

Last edited:
ECKSJAY said:
With ya on that one. Will be in the mountains for grouse, too.

Already got two blues with my bow whilest out for blacktails! Very tasty.

Back