• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doors off XJ

took mine off about 5 days ago for the first time, about the wires I just took the door panel off, disconected and slid the wires out of the door :scottm:
no_doors_005.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought, but if you cut the lower ear off the hinges on a 2-door and it ends up breaking, you could always just put a new hinge on, they can't be very expensive at a junkyard.

xj92 said:
Just a thought, but if you cut the lower ear off the hinges on a 2-door and it ends up breaking, you could always just put a new hinge on, they can't be very expensive at a junkyard.

It won't break.

Ohh....and exactlly where are these junkyards with a bunch of 2 door XJ's???

Rev

BIG98XJ said:
took mine off about 5 days ago for the first time, about the wires I just took the door panel off, disconected and slid the wires out of the door :scottm:
no_doors_005.jpg

Nice!!! Great flex shot, what setup do you have???:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Rev Den said:
It won't break.

Ohh....and exactlly where are these junkyards with a bunch of 2 door XJ's???

Rev

I didn't realize the hinges were different between 2 and 4-door XJ's, and metal doesn't rust down here like I'd imagine it does up there.

By the way Rev, is there more slop in the door with one ear chopped off?

Last edited:
xj92 said:
I didn't realize the hinges were different between 2 and 4-door XJ's, and metal doesn't rust down here like I'd imagine it does up there.

Are they really different? I know the 2 door is heavier and bigger than the 4 door front door, do it could be differnt to accomodate the weight. I know Tomken has tube doors in production. I might get those or just take the doors off entirely and use cj mirrors somehow to make it legal.
Troy

xj92 said:

By the way Rev, is there more slop in the door with one ear chopped off?

I think the hinges are the same...just trying to make a point, there are not allot of XJ's at all in junkyards up here, most of the ones that should be in junkyards are owned by the NAXJA memebers in this area.

No, there is no more slop in the door with 1 ear gone.

Rev

Rev Den said:
I think the hinges are the same...just trying to make a point, there are not allot of XJ's at all in junkyards up here, most of the ones that should be in junkyards are owned by the NAXJA memebers in this area.

No, there is no more slop in the door with 1 ear gone.

Rev

Isn't there some xj's in the big junk yard in Bensenville by O'hare? I don't know what it is called, but they show the commercial a lot on WGN with a guy opening up his boat Chevy Caprise and the door falling off in his hand and they show the tow truck driver handing him a poker hand full of cash. The commerical is very korny just like that Legal Eagle ad for auto insurance with Man Cow. Man I will never forget those commercials. :D I bet you could find dana 44 xj axles in the NW Indiana/south-west Chicago area cannot you. I never was in to bone yards like I am out here in Cali now that I moved a yr and a half ago. I'm right by J&W auto wreckers which have been in many 4 wheel drive magazines for their good donor vehicles. They have over 10 acres of just jeeps, man it is heaven. :D 2 door are harder to find though. I got my 89' that I have since sold because it was cheap and wished I had a 4 door, now I have a 91' 2 door and like the 2 door as a wheeler.
Troy
Troy

Big Red said:
Isn't there some xj's in the big junk yard in Bensenville by O'hare? I don't know what it is called, but they show the commercial a lot on WGN with a guy opening up his boat Chevy Caprise and the door falling off in his hand and they show the tow truck driver handing him a poker hand full of cash. The commerical is very korny just like that Legal Eagle ad for auto insurance with Man Cow. Man I will never forget those commercials. :D

That would be Victory

Last time I was there (which was a while ago) there was nothing useful there. That's why I stopped going there.

IntrepidXJ said:
That would be Victory

Last time I was there (which was a while ago) there was nothing useful there. That's why I stopped going there.

That's right. It is all coming back to me. What a corny commercial. Cannot you guys get a hold of some great axles out there? The off-road thing isn't exactly thriving there. You can even find a dana 44 here in Nor Cal for $250 complete from an xj, right next to J&W Autowreckers who wants $850 for 1 with their 10+ acres of jeep stuff. You just have to look long and hard to find 1, but I have 1 already. But when I saw that dana 44 under that xj I had to pinch myself to see I wasn't dreaming. :roflmao:

I made my front doors removeable about 3 years ago. I've only taken the driver's side off to put the half door on. I've leaned it into big rocks & the cut hinges seem to be holding up fine.

I wouldn't however want to lean the sucker into rocks with the doors off, it'll just hang you up or kill your passenger. Not to mention that your mirrors are mounted to the doors so it's a legality issue at least here in CA.

-jb

I started the passenger door tonight just cause I was bored. They're a pain to get off. I first tried punching out the pins, but couldn't get a good enough angle with the doors on, so then proceeded to remove the six Torx bolts, what a pain. Two stripped, I got one out and I'm down to one left. I can't even fit my normal torx bits in there. I have to use one that goes in a magnetic screwdriver and turn it with a wrench. It takes a 1/4" wrench though, which I don't have. I tried using an adjustable wrench, but the bolts are so tight, that the adjustable wrench opens up just enough to allow it to slip over the hex instead of turning it. :(

Back