• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless mod help

Yea you have to have the doors off to be able to do it and like I said eariler you will ave to fine tune them with shims so you need those torx broke free and I would also replace them with regular bolts. Did you take out the pin that holds the door from flying open? That will give you some more room. If you did and still cant get in there then you need a diffrent torx socket cause the ones I used got right in there. Oh and by the way I endded up breaking 3 Snap on torxs and had to chisel of one of the bolt heads to get both doors off.

ok so I have been fighting these torx bolts for 2 days almost got all of them off except for one which stripped of course. Any ideas on how to get it off now?

I'd use a Dremel or die grinder to remove the head, and finish the job once the door is not on the vehicle. Grind it down instead of trying to cut it off, when the metal is thin enough it will break the head off leaving no marks or cuts into the hinge body like would happen if you tried to cut through the head sideways.

As for finding manual doors in the right color - find a late model with the manual doors, buy the regulators, tracks etc (all the parts that are specific to manual or electric) and then buy any set of matching electric doors, swap the parts in, be happy. If you get lucky, you can find both of these vehicles in the junkyard on the same day and swap the parts in before you even buy the doors. My local yard charges the same for a window regulator whether it's manual or not, and the same for a door whether it's got any of the junk installed or not (they do charge extra if it has a mirror) so I don't see an issue with this.

With a grinder...

Dude, don't put a connector on that huge harness. It won't work right half the time. Just take the kick panels off. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to remove all 4 doors on my Jeep. That includes removing and replacing the kick panels on both sides.

Dude, don't put a connector on that huge harness. It won't work right half the time. Just take the kick panels off. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to remove all 4 doors on my Jeep. That includes removing and replacing the kick panels on both sides.

What he said, the big connectors (or even a 8 pin and 12 pin) are a PITA and will fail at some point (maybe right away). That was my experience anyway.

You want to run doorless from spring and fall and put the doors on when it rains, right? Just pull the connectors behind the kick panels once in the spring and when it rains hang the doors back on leaving the connectors off. Do you really need to work your windows when it rains? You are trying to make something simple into something difficult.

You want to run doorless from spring and fall and put the doors on when it rains, right? Just pull the connectors behind the kick panels once in the spring and when it rains hang the doors back on leaving the connectors off. Do you really need to work your windows when it rains? You are trying to make something simple into something difficult.

what he said, its really not that hard taking the kick panels off. i leave the screw out that holds it in place so it just pops on and off

What he said, the big connectors (or even a 8 pin and 12 pin) are a PITA and will fail at some point (maybe right away). That was my experience anyway.

I am in college and don't live in a house with a garage so leaving the doors off say like over night is not a option. I have had my Jeep vandalized and broken into 4 different times since I have lived here and each time was in a different place and neighborhood. My Jeep is my daily driver and I have a $1000 flip out touch screen in the dash as well so like I said the doors will left off for maybe hours at a time but definitely not days.

I tried disconnecting the factory connectors just to go ahead and try taking the doors off because I need to get them off so a shop can weld the hinges back to the Jeep because they are just starting to rip off. I caught it in time before it got too bad but I cannot afford to pay a shop to do all the work to pull the doors off and weld them up so I need to do it myself. But when I tried to disconnect the front passenger side door it was a PITA to disconnect the 3 connectors on that side. So a quick connect would be a much easier route if it is a possible option

when you take the connectors out of the kick panel, break the clip that locks them in place.

doing so will allow the connectors to slide right in and out

You are trying to make something simple into something difficult.

Yep. You want to add more connectors? Waste of time. I used a 4 wire trailer harness for my rear doors and they barely fit in the boots. Trying to add more connectors on teh front ones with 5x more wire? you'll be pissed you wasted you time. The kick panels pop off in 5 seconds and install in the same amount of time.

If you're worried about something as minor as leaving the kick panels off to keep a "clean factory look", I suggest you just keep the doors on :wierd:

I am in college and don't live in a house with a garage so leaving the doors off say like over night is not a option. I have had my Jeep vandalized and broken into 4 different times since I have lived here and each time was in a different place and neighborhood. My Jeep is my daily driver and I have a $1000 flip out touch screen in the dash as well so like I said the doors will left off for maybe hours at a time but definitely not days.

If you leave the doors off and take the $1000 stereo out people will stop breaking into it.

Maybe the doorless thing just isn't going to be your thing right now.

I tried disconnecting the factory connectors just to go ahead and try taking the doors off because I need to get them off so a shop can weld the hinges back to the Jeep because they are just starting to rip off. I caught it in time before it got too bad but I cannot afford to pay a shop to do all the work to pull the doors off and weld them up so I need to do it myself. But when I tried to disconnect the front passenger side door it was a PITA to disconnect the 3 connectors on that side. So a quick connect would be a much easier route if it is a possible option

Lol you can afford a $1,000 flip out screen but can't afford to fix your Jeep? Not sure why you would need that much money in a flip out screen when you could do so much more with $1,000.

Lol you can afford a $1,000 flip out screen but can't afford to fix your Jeep? Not sure why you would need that much money in a flip out screen when you could do so much more with $1,000.

Bought it over 5 years ago with money I had AT THE TIME but no longer have that kinda cash flow now. Being in college and having to pay for nearly everything myself makes it hard to afford even small things so I have to figure out where I can save money. Yah I dropped $1000 touch screen so I'm going to make use of what I have already paid for. Senseless not to use it or to put it in harms way. Hense the reason I asked my original question about the connectors and if it was possible. If I have to do the kick panel removal everytime then I will, I just would prefer not to since as I experienced it is a little bit of a PITA.

Either way I have to get the doors off because the upper hinges on both sides are just beginning to rip off so I need to get that repaired and can't afford to pay a shop to do the entire repair but I can get a local shop to simply weld the hinges for around $40.

I used something like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1A9XRMJHWAJ1PPWS6NMK

to get my doors off. I got mine at Harbor Freight on sale for under $5 Home Depot also carries theme. i can't imagine Lowes or someplace like that not having it either

A battery wrench looks just like that which I was told to get by a local shop to use with a bit of the right size to get the bolts out. This worked for all but one bolt on each door which stripped. I also broke the wrench but it did what i need it to do so I guess I got my money's worth.

Back