• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless mirrors

I modified some removal brackets for YJ mirrors and mount them to the A-pillar.

YJ_Mirror_Mounted_Inside.sized.jpg

Most people seem happy to stick a motorcycle mirror in the hinge

Check your local laws. In Texas, you only need to have 1 mirror that allows you to see some distance behind you.

Interesting.. some vehicle in 80s/90s only came with a rear view and driver side side view. My 89 XJ is base model and only had driver side side view, not pass side.

Yea one of my old neighbors had a car like that that only had the drivers side view mirror. I don't remember the manuf. but the model was a colt i think. It was a 2 door hatchback.

Interesting.. some vehicle in 80s/90s only came with a rear view and driver side side view. My 89 XJ is base model and only had driver side side view, not pass side.

My old 91 nissan sentra had that.

I modified some removal brackets for YJ mirrors and mount them to the A-pillar.

YJ_Mirror_Mounted_Inside.sized.jpg

Most people seem happy to stick a motorcycle mirror in the hinge

i really like that, how much $ into that? i need a new setup for mirrors for when i go doorless

my '91 Toyota had the drivers side mirror & windshield rear view mirror only setup as well. I'm not sure if I was simply told, or if it was something I found out when I was 17 & getting my license, but I believe by law (at least in California) its required that all vehicles have a minimum of 2 mirrors. Drivers side, and passenger side. You can use a windshield mount rear-view if you don't have a passenger's side tho...

Heres mine. Just got a bike mirror from the bike shop downtown, cut a piece of scrap metal a few inches long, drilled 2 holes, and bolted it in.

Photo062211411.jpg

Not an XJ, but my ZJ... I used the end of an old bedframe for the bracket, bolted it to the body with a door bolt. Then bolted an old truck mirror to the bracket.
29May2010Raditor0164.jpg

Only driven around town a couple times like this but passed by cops and nobody seemed to care... Looking forward to warm enough weather to take them off again soon.

Why didn't Chrysler modify the XJ to have easily removed doors like the ZJ?

After getting help with doing the doorless mod on my cherokee its pretty easy. All you really have to do is cut the hinges off the bottom of the door. As for the mirror I just run a metal bike mirror I got from a local bike shop here a few years ago. I pass by cops all the time and drive on the freeway here. Ive never been hassled about it before. The law in NC is that you need the have 2 rearview mirrors, one being hte mandatory windsheild and the other being the driverside.

Bought a $6 mirror at autozone that has a small swiveling stud on the back of it. Painted it black to get rid of the bling. For the supports, I took some thin aluminum tube and crimped the ends in a vice to flatten them out, then drilled holes. I figured two arms would make the mirror much more stable on the road than just one. Then just run a bolt through the mount and you've got a nice mirror.

Oh, and I had an issue with the mirror folding back on me from the wind when doing down the highway. Problem was the bolt was squishing the two tabs on the body side of the hinge. Solution was to cut a piece of the aluminum tube to fit inside the hinge tabs so you could crank the bolt down and keep the mounting arms from rotating back.

I've driven this way all over MD and VA, even on major highways. Sat next to cops at a light and they don't even give me a second look.

IMG_3526.jpg

No flash for a little more detail
IMG_3528.jpg

OBX2010131.jpg

OBX2010122.jpg

OBX2010119.jpg

Last edited:
Back