• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Pin/Screw

I'm going to the junkyard today or tomorrow.....I pull a couple of them for you. PM me a mailing address and I'll get 'em to ya.

Jeff

What about the other side of that part. Mine broke or came loose in the door. Not sure what that side looks like or needs to fix it.

I bought the OEM pin from a dealer. Ripped off to the tune of $3.50.

It still pops. Someone told me that you need to replace the assembly that fits through the door and that the pin goes through.

I guess I can give the whole nut trick a shot. What sizing, threading, length, material, etc did you use? Nylon nuts with a regular bolt?

Also, if you grease up the pin and hole really well that will sometimes soften or even get rid of the poping sound.

Incase anyone is wondering, I am propbably just going to swipe a pin from my other jeep.

I popped like 10 pins out in the 'yard today. If anyone needs one, just holler.

Jeff

JeffU said:
I bought the OEM pin from a dealer. Ripped off to the tune of $3.50.

It still pops. Someone told me that you need to replace the assembly that fits through the door and that the pin goes through.

I agree, mine was making a popping racket just before the part inside the door snaped. Still wondering about the part(s) inside the door. Anybody worked on that side of the door stop before?

I replaced them on my MJ. They are held by two bolts that fit thru a thin sheetmetal insert on the door, and my driverside ripped the metal around the lower stud. You have to pull the panel on the inside of the door and the speaker, then fish your hand up thru the speaker cutout and hold it while you unscrew the assembly, and pull it out from inside the door. Not impossible, but pretty damn inconvenient.....

The sheetmetal insert is tack welded to the door and not easily replaceable, so I just used a washer overtop of the the bolt. Been working fine so far.

Jeff

I got tired of listening to the gawd awful popping noise. I found an OEM complete door check kit on eBay for $25.00 shipped.

After removing the door speaker and cutting the crap out of my hand and arm I got the new assembly installed. Installed the new pin and ...............it still was popping. What the heck? The kit came with a new saddle strap that attaches to the inner fender post. I replaced it and the noise is gone.

What I learned from all this is that the problem seems to be that the holes in the saddle strap where the roll pin goes through rounds out over time. Replacing it and the roll pin will probably cure most of our popping noise issue. Not sure what the saddle strap costs. Hell the pin was $3 bucks. But it is way easy to fix. And finally no noise.

or you just let us know tomorrow ; )
mine fell out and dissapeared..
..the hardware store is much closer for me than the junkyard..

kndrewa said:
or you just let us know tomorrow ; )
mine fell out and dissapeared..
..the hardware store is much closer for me than the junkyard..
I'd buy more than one because they have a tendency to fall into the lower part of the fender (don't ask me how I know). Also, there is an update for the check strap. Seems the 97-up models have a bump stop for the check strap that keeps the door from opening too much and causing the hinge weld from failing. Marcus - GoJeep - has a writup on his site about it and has the part number for the later model check strap. Good luck.

-RR

Back