• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't torch that lug nut!

It's interesting that with valvestem core removed it could still happen. Thanks for posting this.

I'm pretty sure I've applied a MAP torch to free up the overtorqued nuts on my other car. I guess I got lucky.

you would think a burnout would make alot more heat then that, but there lots that do them and never have blow outs

I still remember those 80's videos from highschool auto shop. Manikins getting their heads knocked off by flying rims. Traumatizing stuff :D

That was crazy. It's like they welded on it for just a few seconds and there was a delayed reaction between the end of welding and the start of the heat/pressure build up.

It's like they welded on it for just a few seconds and there was a delayed reaction between the end of welding and the start of the heat/pressure build up.

Like totally it was like delayed, that's like crazy.

you would think a burnout would make alot more heat then that, but there lots that do them and never have blow outs
I don't know that thing was up over 600* before it blew. Plus the guy says it has to do with a chemical reaction inside the body of the tire.

I've been wondering about this as well. The video defines the reaction as "pyrolosis," and I've yet to be sure that this is the same word as "Pyrolysis." Assuming it's just an alternative spelling, here's a little bit on the process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolysis

There's a good deal of carbon in a tire, so it should probably be no surprise that funny stuff happens when it gets too hot.

Back