• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome light? Cargo light?

br1anstorm

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 XJ is the 4.0 auto "Sport" version. It has only a simple interior dome light in the middle of the roof, which lights up when front doors are opened or by rotating the main light-switch. No roof-console .... and no "cargo light" in the back inside the rear hatch.

I have always wanted a light back there (an LED one would be nice). It so happens I'm going to have to remove and re-cover the headliner soon, so I'm planning on finding a light that will do the job.

The wiring diagrams I have seen appear to suggest that there might be wiring already in the loom for an interior 'cargo' light at the rear. However the diagram I have also seems to suggest that there is a liftgate button-switch, and switches at the rear doors, and I have no such switches on mine.

I guess I may discover the answer when I get the headliner out - but can anyone tell me in advance if the wiring and connections for a rear interior/dome light are likely to be there tucked up somewhere behind the liner in the roofspace? And in those models which do have a cargo-area light, how is it switched on - by liftgate switch, or does it come on like the main dome light when the (front?) doors are opened?

I'm not exactly an auto-electrician but I can follow a Haynes manual - so if anyone has done something similar, or can link to how-to pictures, I'd appreciate it.

Confucius say man who follow Haynes manual is likely to become lost.

SWAG is that the wires exist--most manufacturers figured out stocking multiple versions of main wiring harnesses didn't save them any money.

There would normally be a liftgate switch that COULD activate the cargo light if the switch was in the correct position on the lamp housing.

The switch is inside the latch assembly and trips when the latch is separated from the post. Its not visible unless you disassemble the door.

I'd be surprised if there wasnt a harness up there already. If its there, search through the archives here for wiring colors and functions to test if the latch switch works

Back