• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DOM tubing

You lost , this is advanced fab forum.

DOM
Tensile Strength, psi 87,000
Yield Strength, psi 72,000

Mild
Mechanical Properties Imperial
Tensile Strength, 58000 - 79800 psi
Tensile Strength, 36300 psi

I'm willing to pay $2.00 more a foot to save my life while barreling through the desert at 80mph

Thanks for the education, so it's more about strength than than being sized inside and out. As far as the comment on cutting to short and fixing it with a sleeve , in my shop anything cut too short gets replaced not rigged. In my opinion when you sleeve apiece especially a rollbar the area at the end of the sleeve is stressed more when the tube experiences a side load than a one piece tube. When your life is depending on the strength of the tubes this should be considered. I am not sure who made the comment on sleeving,but it was not you,just had to comment about it. Thanks

Thanks for the education, so it's more about strength than than being sized inside and out. As far as the comment on cutting to short and fixing it with a sleeve , in my shop anything cut too short gets replaced not rigged. In my opinion when you sleeve apiece especially a rollbar the area at the end of the sleeve is stressed more when the tube experiences a side load than a one piece tube. When your life is depending on the strength of the tubes this should be considered. I am not sure who made the comment on sleeving,but it was not you,just had to comment about it. Thanks

That sleeving comment was mostly a joke, I've done it a handful of times when I either changed something or replaced a section of damaged tube. I wouldn't do it purposefully, but I'm not going to cut half a cage out to replace a single dented tube or move one thing.

however I disagree about the strength. if your sleeve is long enough to extend past the HAZ of the weld then that section will be stronger than a non-sleeved section.

its also a good way to increase wall thickness for rock impact. I have done a set of rub rails for a wrongler that way. my bender won't bend over .120, so I bent the main tube, then cut/sleeved the straight sections with another peice of .120 inside. they have yet to dent on the straight sections, and I'm not worried about the bends denting.

I understand ,repair work is different from building from scratch. My comment on the sleeves concerns a sleeve on a longish straight piece,when hit from the side. It seems that the weakest point would be just past the end of the sleeve. I do not build roll bars but have seen this happen in other similar situations. I am not an engineer only talking from experience. Thanks for the reply

I understand ,repair work is different from building from scratch. My comment on the sleeves concerns a sleeve on a longish straight piece,when hit from the side. It seems that the weakest point would be just past the end of the sleeve. I do not build roll bars but have seen this happen in other similar situations. I am not an engineer only talking from experience. Thanks for the reply

All I can think of is...Hi I'm Troy McClure , and while I'm not and Engineer and have no actual time spent fabricating an offroad cage or testing out my bench racing theories in real world application I do however post on Naxja .

All I can think of is...Hi I'm Troy McClure , and while I'm not and Engineer and have no actual time spent fabricating an offroad cage or testing out my bench racing theories in real world application I do however post on Naxja .

Lmao was just about to say "the engineer called and said it should work"

I don't understand the smart sounding reply, I was giving you an honest observation based on over 25 years expepence of fabricating and repair. I could have told you I was a engineer and carried on a load of BS.l an not the one piecing together short cuts, or not fitting joints as well as they should and MIG welding them ( nothing wrong with MIG) it is the joints. I joined this group for help and to try to help others,l have found it is hard to help . Thanks for reply

I don't understand the smart sounding reply, I was giving you an honest observation based on over 25 years expepence of fabricating and repair. I could have told you I was a engineer and carried on a load of BS.l an not the one piecing together short cuts, or not fitting joints as well as they should and MIG welding them ( nothing wrong with MIG) it is the joints. I joined this group for help and to try to help others,l have found it is hard to help . Thanks for reply

Don't get too pissed. He was talking about himself. ;)

My Uncle who never played Football watches pro ball every weekend from his reclining chair ,and he too has many coaching and player theories ...he has just never actually played a game .

Not trying to be a douche it is just that you are expressing your untested theory as fact and the reality is joining tube this way has been done in many shops and home garages over and over with successful results ...So do you expect to have your ideas embraced as the way it should be or as the guy who stated he really had no idea but has a theory and you all should do it that way ?

Who said it was untested? Let me explain it a different way,when you sleeve a joint it makes the joint much stronger as the tube now is much thicker. When the tube is loaded or pushed from the side 90 degrees from its legenth and held at each end it will usually fail at the ends of the sleeve as the tube gives more than the thicker sleeved section. I said usually ,as when things break or fail . (As imy experience has thought me )nothing is100%. I said I did not do rollbars not that I can't. There is a liability issue ,they take a lot of time that most people do not want to pay for and a few others that I won't mention,but mainly liability. It takes more than this to get me pissed. Thanks for the replys

Who said it was untested? Let me explain it a different way,when you sleeve a joint it makes the joint much stronger as the tube now is much thicker. When the tube is loaded or pushed from the side 90 degrees from its legenth and held at each end it will usually fail at the ends of the sleeve as the tube gives more than the thicker sleeved section. I said usually ,as when things break or fail . (As imy experience has thought me )nothing is100%. I said I did not do rollbars not that I can't. There is a liability issue ,they take a lot of time that most people do not want to pay for and a few others that I won't mention,but mainly liability. It takes more than this to get me pissed. Thanks for the replys

What your describing is a stress riser at the ends of the slug inserted into the tube and yes if you were going to bend the tube much it would possibly bend there , but on a roll cage if your tube is bending like that it is already gone and you should not have very long un supported lengths of tube to see a tube bend much. I do agree that the slug creates a stress riser , but I do not think it is of a concern in this application ...all the frame plating you see here
Essentially creates the same stress risers .

Thank you, I am old and I not too sure about my communication skills any more. That is what I was trying to get across to you, I have seen it happen on a lot of stuff , the position as in end or middle also comes into play ,I have always called the inside pieces slugs and exterior sleeves but didn't want to propose a new theory. Thanks for the patience and replys

Thank you, I am old and I not too sure about my communication skills any more. That is what I was trying to get across to you, I have seen it happen on a lot of stuff , the position as in end or middle also comes into play ,I have always called the inside pieces slugs and exterior sleeves but didn't want to propose a new theory. Thanks for the patience and replys

I would say see you on the trail but you are in North Carolina ...anyway if you are ever out this way post up .

Back