• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this tick you off ?

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
So I broke a lug stud while removing a wheel on my 99 doing a brake job. I go to my local O'Reily's to get a new one, here's the story:

Me, with a non broken stud in hand for reference to the counter lady "I need a wheel stud for a 99 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0"

Her "Is it a Grand Cherokee or just a "plain" Cherokee?"

I looked at her and smiled and said "Just a plain 'ol Cherokee"

She goes and finds Dorman part# 610-109 which is about 1/2" inches too short and brings it back up and says "Here you go".

Me "This one is too short, look at it"

Her, fiddling on the computer look up again. She turns her head and looks at me and says "Are you sure you have just a plain Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee?"

Me, smiling "Have a nice day lady"...........

I get so ticked when people ask me over and over again if it's just a plain ol Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee! Especially twice in the same visit!

So I broke a lug stud while removing a wheel on my 99 doing a brake job. I go to my local O'Reily's to get a new one, here's the story:

Me, with a non broken stud in hand for reference to the counter lady "I need a wheel stud for a 99 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0"

Her "Is it a Grand Cherokee or just a "plain" Cherokee?"

I looked at her and smiled and said "Just a plain 'ol Cherokee"

She goes and finds Dorman part# 610-109 which is about 1/2" inches too short and brings it back up and says "Here you go".

Me "This one is too short, look at it"

Her, fiddling on the computer look up again. She turns her head and looks at me and says "Are you sure you have just a plain Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee?"

Me, smiling "Have a nice day lady"...........

I get so ticked when people ask me over and over again if it's just a plain ol Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee! Especially twice in the same visit!

I complained about the same thing. They said people will say they have a Cherokee and they really have a Grand Cherokee. Most people are lemings following the others in the yuppy crowd. I just say "Cherokee, NOT a Grand Cherokee". Sometimes I add "I drive a 4x4, not some yuppy vehicle." Sorry Grand Cherokee lovers. ;)

I get the same thing. The other one that cracks me up is if you go for something like a lug nut or stud and they ask you "4 or 6 cylinder engine"

It doesn't matter

Well it might

No really....it won't matter. Same axle.

I really can't wait to get my brake swaps done so I can go in and ask for rear rotors/pads for a 98 ZJ, front pads for an 03 WJ and rotors from an 02-03 Exploder Sport-Trac

The look on their faces will be priceless....

Most parts people are quite ignorant when it comes to Jeeps. They are only asking what the screen in front of them is asking them. Usually there next question is" Is it 2 or 4 wheel drive?".

On my last visit for my oil change the guy behind the counter asked me if it was a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from him.

On my last visit for my oil change the guy behind the counter asked me if it was a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from him.

I would have replied, "Oh no,....this one has 6 of em'"

:wink:

It sometimes bugs me too, but you have to remember that if they don't know Jeeps, they have no way of being sure, for example, whether there is a difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive versions. On some vehicles nearly every little part is different, including those that you would not expect.

And don't forget that, while you are not an idiot, they cannot guarantee that, and there are a lot of idiots out there.

slightly unrelated example: I was recently in Newport, RI, looking for a restaurant. I stopped at the visitor center there. This center has a big pay parking lot, at the gate of which is a sign that says you get a half hour free parking if you get your ticket stamped at the center. On the ticket is a reminder to that effect. At the counter of the visitor center are signs to remind you of that, saying something like "don't forget to get your ticket validated here," etc. And yet, as I was pulling out of the center, sure enough, the driver ahead of me stops at the gate, and a conversation ensues, after which, as cars line up behind us, a passenger gets out, runs back to the center, and a minute or so later (there are now about 8 cars behind us), runs back with validated ticket!

I really can't wait to get my brake swaps done so I can go in and ask for rear rotors/pads for a 98 ZJ, front pads for an 03 WJ and rotors from an 02-03 Exploder Sport-Trac

lol I just had this happen to me at the local parts place about two weeks ago. He thought I had lost my mind or something. But he asked me to come back and show him when I finished it after I explained what I was doing (he's a smart guy). I'll probably swing by tomorrow.

And don't forget that, while you are not an idiot, they cannot guarantee that, and there are a lot of idiots out there.
you hit the nail on the head :D

i get at LEAST 2 people a week coming in saying they have a cherokee, only to have the parts returned the next day because they didnt tell me it was a grand. then they get pissed and tell me they are all the same. i reply with every difference i can think of and they walk away confused and still irritated, surprised that i actually know as much about em as i do :D just because the parts guy asks you something you think is a dumb question, dont assume he or she is an idiot, they are just trying to make sure you get the right parts, the first time... and sometimes the computer is just plain wrong, its not always thier fault.

It sometimes bugs me too, but you have to remember that if they don't know Jeeps, they have no way of being sure, for example, whether there is a difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive versions. On some vehicles nearly every little part is different, including those that you would not expect.

slightly unrelated example: I was recently in Newport, RI, looking for a restaurant. I stopped at the visitor center there. This center has a big pay parking lot, at the gate of which is a sign that says you get a half hour free parking if you get your ticket stamped at the center. On the ticket is a reminder to that effect. At the counter of the visitor center are signs to remind you of that, saying something like "don't forget to get your ticket validated here," etc. And yet, as I was pulling out of the center, sure enough, the driver ahead of me stops at the gate, and a conversation ensues, after which, as cars line up behind us, a passenger gets out, runs back to the center, and a minute or so later (there are now about 8 cars behind us), runs back with validated ticket!

Along those lines, Ezpass, that little white box in the windshield or down on the bumper. Toll booth at the Delaware water gap from NJ/PA, it NEVER $#$#$ fails, BIG ASSED SIGNS, EZPASS ONLY and two of the end booths are not manned, some yahoos from NY will pull into BOTH OF THEM and the toll person from the nearest booth has to walk out, take their money, walk back, get change, walk back and then open the gate. How the fuk can you be driving a $60,000 dollar car and CANT %$#$% READ a big white and puple sign not to mention the one that goes across the whole road that says 'left lane for ezpass only'...
I told my wife I finally figured out why the put the gates on those booths, it's not to slow you down, it's for the illiterates.

its at the point now where i start the coversation by saying "im looking for a <insert part> for a '95 cherokee NOT grand".

its at the point now where i start the coversation by saying "im looking for a <insert part> for a '95 cherokee NOT grand".

This is where knowing your jeeps comes in handy, they all use D30's, D35's with the odd 8.25 and D44A.

I worked parts for 3 years, I still asked questions like that multiple times. Most people do not know what they have, I have had people go back outside to look and see if their car has 4 doors or not because when it came down to crunch time at the counter they did not know. A lot of cars have such a huge number of parts options that it is ridiculous. 2002 Ford F150 for example has 14 different types of brake rotors. A lot of imports and small cars have both different studs front and rear as well as different ones for engine sizes.

Unless I knew the person across the counter from me I assumed they were stupid

Ya I liked doing this the other day. If I need brake parts or bearings, I now have to ask for parts from a '77 Ford F150, '74 Jeep Wagoneer, '88 Jeep Cherokee, and if I need anything else, I need a '99 Cherokee.

I also gave up and just started saying "99 jeep cherokee, not grand, 4 wheel drive 6 cylinder"

I think there should be a prerequisite for working at a parts store, you have to know a little bit about cars.
While building my HP44, I messed up an inner axle seal, and autozone didn't carry any, especially for a '77 F150. I called Advanced Auto after searching online, and they said they had 2. I made the 30 minute drive in the middle of traffic, got there, and asked for the parts. He brought out wheel bearing seals for the hubs. I said no I asked for inner axle seals, and he looked at me confused, and was like "Ya?" I started to explain to him what it was and he was like "no no I know what you mean," offended I was explaining it to him. He came back out with a random part and I'm just like no, and explain to him what the part was. He asked the other guy and they both don't know. Then he searches around on his computer and is like, "Alright, I found what your looking for, the name for it is a CV shaft seal." I was just like no, there are no CV joints on this axle, its called an inner axle seal, and then just left. pissed I raced to there to converse with an idiot.

Last edited:
99.9% of the time men will act like they know what they are talking about. It's a man thing. I do it you do it, hell even women are starting to do it.

There are a few that actually have a reason for that confidence. Knowledge and experience mostly.

I learned a long time ago, that if someone is saying something that you think is wrong it is in your best interest to ask a few questions before you label them an idiot.

I have learned something on more than one occasion.

Like I said before. I complained about them asking me "Grand?" all the time. They explained it and now I know. They just have to be sure, not because I don't know, but because so many others before me didn't know what kind of vehicle they were driving.

If this annoys you, I'm guessing you've never sold parts of any sort. It's amazing how many people are clueless when it comes to the things they depend on and use every single day. I've not worked in automotive, but I've worked for an electrical parts house, and sold documentation for commercial phone systems- people just assume you know what they have, and will give them the right part without having to answer a single question. Ask a question, and they look at you like you're the idiot.

Just about every time I get irritated while ordering parts, I think back to those days, and remind myself that if I don't know the part number for what I need, they probably won't either. That's why there's a database, and that's why we have to go through the routine.

If this annoys you, I'm guessing you've never sold parts of any sort. It's amazing how many people are clueless when it comes to the things they depend on and use every single day. I've not worked in automotive, but I've worked for an electrical parts house, and sold documentation for commercial phone systems- people just assume you know what they have, and will give them the right part without having to answer a single question. Ask a question, and they look at you like you're the idiot.

Just about every time I get irritated while ordering parts, I think back to those days, and remind myself that if I don't know the part number for what I need, they probably won't either. That's why there's a database, and that's why we have to go through the routine.

Yeah, but this "lady" looked me square in the eye after telling her twice already it was "Just a Cherokee" and asked me.... "Are you sure it's just a Cherokee"............at this point I had had enough.........

Ya I liked doing this the other day. If I need brake parts or bearings, I now have to ask for parts from a '77 Ford F150, '74 Jeep Wagoneer, '88 Jeep Cherokee, and if I need anything else, I need a '99 Cherokee.

I also gave up and just started saying "99 jeep cherokee, not grand, 4 wheel drive 6 cylinder"

I think there should be a prerequisite for working at a parts store, you have to know a little bit about cars.
While building my HP44, I messed up an inner axle seal, and autozone didn't carry any, especially for a '77 F150. I called Advanced Auto after searching online, and they said they had 2. I made the 30 minute drive in the middle of traffic, got there, and asked for the parts. He brought out wheel bearing seals for the hubs. I said no I asked for inner axle seals, and he looked at me confused, and was like "Ya?" I started to explain to him what it was and he was like "no no I know what you mean," offended I was explaining it to him. He came back out with a random part and I'm just like no, and explain to him what the part was. He asked the other guy and they both don't know. Then he searches around on his computer and is like, "Alright, I found what your looking for, the name for it is a CV shaft seal." I was just like no, there are no CV joints on this axle, its called an inner axle seal, and then just left. pissed I raced to there to converse with an idiot.

Very similar with me. Depending on what I'm looking for its a '78/79 F350 or a '97 Cherokee.
I also had a very similar thing happen at Advance when I called looking for spindle nuts for my D60. I was very clear on the phone that I didn't want to drive all the way there and have them not have the correct nuts. I had the guy on the phone set them aside and when I got there he handed me a pair of lug nuts. I was quite irritated, but calmly I went up to the manager and told him how I would like a refund on my gas money to get there after being assured they had the correct parts. Knowing I would get nowhere, but being polite. He surprised me said they would order a set and next time I cam in I would get 20% off anything I purchased. I questioned anything and he assured me. The next day I went in and purchased all the front brake parts for my D60, brake parts for my brother's Subaru, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff I'd need later on. Order was something in the $400 range, but he honored it. Needless to say when I walk in there now he smilies. :D Still don't have any spindle nuts though, I'll have to order 'em online.

Back