• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this sound like my batteries dying??

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The problem:

When i switch my defog on and it is on high, the jeep starts shuddering a bit as if it is loosing power. It only happens when the compressor comes on ( i have air conditioning and i believe it comes on when the defog is on too). I can see the volt meter take a bit dip when this occurs. Even worse at night with my lights on (and at idle). The jeep starts ok, sometimes a bit of a delay if it has been sitting but not too bad. Does this sound like a battery getting ready to kick it???

Cheers

ac compressor thing is weird? but all i know is check your alternator, when mine went out the jeep started shuddering because some of the cylinders weren't firing due to the low voltage. how long has this been going on? also you won't get much help unless we know the specs on your jeep

K2XJ said:
sorry...95 xj sport, 4.0L, 130k km

It hasnt been happening very long, just kinda started.

i drove mine for 32 miles before i found out it was the alternator then all of a sudden it shuddered and i looked down and was right above 9 volts on the gauge

Does the AC work ok? Could it be that ac compressor is having problems, when it kicks in the motor is working extra hard to keep running?

Turn the ac on and see what happens. My compressor is blown, so I pulled the plug off of it (electrical). My defroster works ok without it. I'm probably converting it to onboard air later, I really don't need ac.

-C

K2XJ said:
The problem:

When i switch my defog on and it is on high, the jeep starts shuddering a bit as if it is loosing power. It only happens when the compressor comes on ( i have air conditioning and i believe it comes on when the defog is on too). I can see the volt meter take a bit dip when this occurs. Even worse at night with my lights on (and at idle). The jeep starts ok, sometimes a bit of a delay if it has been sitting but not too bad. Does this sound like a battery getting ready to kick it???

Cheers
Not that the other suggestion were wrong but a loose belt will do the same thing.

loose belt?? Interesting!! I have been thinking that it is just about time to replace the belt because it is starting to squeal and looks abit cracked. Thanks for that suggestion

If Langer1 tells you its Christmas, you better hang your stocken.

K2XJ said:
The problem:
I can see the volt meter take a bit dip when this occurs. Even worse at night with my lights on (and at idle). The jeep starts ok, sometimes a bit of a delay if it has been sitting but not too bad. Does this sound like a battery getting ready to kick it???

Cheers

i think i am in the same exact boat with my 96. basically i left my dome light on for about 8 hours, the battery was so dead it wouldnt even click when i turned the ignition. nothing. when i say nothing, i mean NOTHING. also, when my jeep is idling or warming up, and the defrost is on, that sound will pick up i think its just that fan or compressor totally normal, but my volt meter takes a dip as well. but why i am responding is my lights flicker for a breif second at the same time the voltmeter takes a dip and the comperessor or whatever comes on. i just had some maintence done at our auto place and they said they thought my battery was on its way out...... so maybe

Back