• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge Caliber

Subarus have been running CVT's that long haven't they? Well, some of them that is. I know I test drove one at least that long ago.

Sarge

So it has a series of belts in the tranny, how often do they have to be changed I wonder ? Wife likes the sliding arm rest, with her neck injury she needs that arm rest and it has been a show stopper in most others vehicles we've looked at.

yeah CVT has been around for a while some honda civic models hx i believe, ahh the Nissan Murano has one that uses chains instead of belts i think, I dont like them, i prefer shifting or at least hearing the car shift

My wife and I looked at one. Cute car but one thing I don't understand.

What is it with car makers thinking we need seats that feel like bricks to sit on? One of the things I have always hated about VWs, Audis and the like are the hard as a rock seats and I noticed this car had them in it too.

DrMoab said:

What is it with car makers thinking we need seats that feel like bricks to sit on? One of the things I have always hated about VWs, Audis and the like are the hard as a rock seats and I noticed this car had them in it too.

Although they're not as comfy as my WJ, I liked the seats. I can't stand the seats in my wife's 02 Civic... infact that's one of the main reason we're looking for a new ride.
Billy

DrMoab said:

Posture. Soft seats are bad for your back, and I find them extremely uncomfortable on long trips.

I wish I could find some firm seats that would bolt in to the XJ!

The Caliber seems to be a pretty good value, and I love hatchbacks... but I just can't get over the ugly mini-Durango front end. The interior is nothing special, either... a lot of cheap-feeling plastic, just like the crap they used in the WK.

Personally, I'd go with a Mazda3 5-door instead of a Caliber.

I'd go looking for another Shadow/Sundance/Duster or Lancer/Lebaron GTS, 6 cylinder Magnum or Mini-Van first. I wasn't too impressed with them at the auto show, they seemed too tight to me and and the Durango-let looks put me off. The low lift in (that the P anf H body's don't have) and the I-Pod holder is the only thing I really liked. I also was intriged by the CVT, and if you're wondering, it's got a large metal belt in it.

As for the Compass, is it me, or does it look like a Pacer that's been severly beaten with an Ugly stick?

bjoehandley said:
As for the Compass, is it me, or does it look like a Pacer that's been severly beaten with an Ugly stick?
Yes...with Nissan looking fenders.

What a shame. I thought that jeep could do something really cool with a small rally style car but they even screwed that up.

DrMoab said:
What a shame. I thought that jeep could do something really cool with a small rally style car but they even screwed that up.

wow, just looked at it and good grief it looks like crap. I was thinking ralley style as well..

Back