• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have a broken battery tray and an Optima battery? Or about to get an Optima?

Nice. I was just thinking about making one of these, a lower mount battery tray of sorts. The later years will need a hole for the battery temp sensor though.

I talked to max about that last night and he said the next production run are supposed to accommodate the hole for the sensor.

Would this work for other bottom mount batteries as well?

:dunno:

It might, but it would need the stock style hold downs. The bolt hole position isn't unique to the Optima 34/78. I have one as well and don't like how the bar doesn't fit correctly. But my next battery won't be an optima.

I was thinking about the cheapest/easiest way to fit a larger battery in my 96 country. Thought I might just cut the lip off of one long side and one short side so the battery would at least be "cornered". Then just finding something else for a top strap. Maybe put a L bend on each side to accommodate slightly taller battery???

This is really cool, and I second the "diesel battery tray" idea. So many people have posted tech threads asking where to buy one, and they're not exactly easy to find. Maybe get one of the international chapter guys to pull one out of a diesel XJ at the breakers and mail it to Max so he can base his design off the actual factory part?

Do you have a broken battery tray and an Optima battery? Or about to get an ...

This is really cool, and I second the "diesel battery tray" idea. So many people have posted tech threads asking where to buy one, and they're not exactly easy to find. Maybe get one of the international chapter guys to pull one out of a diesel XJ at the breakers and mail it to Max so he can base his design off the actual factory part?
I was trying to con Vince into finding one for me from a junkyard in the UK. He says the going price is about 80 pounds or $125....that's from a junkyard.

:wow:

That's pretty high. Holy crap.

I was thinking about the cheapest/easiest way to fit a larger battery in my 96 country. Thought I might just cut the lip off of one long side and one short side so the battery would at least be "cornered". Then just finding something else for a top strap. Maybe put a L bend on each side to accommodate slightly taller battery???

This applies to this thread how?

Will it take a beating? I'd be afraid of the weight getting tossed around the top and putting stress on those plastic bits on the bottom. Kind of like bolting a fuel cell down with the tabs on the bottom and not running straps across the top.

Will it take a beating? I'd be afraid of the weight getting tossed around the top and putting stress on those plastic bits on the bottom. Kind of like bolting a fuel cell down with the tabs on the bottom and not running straps across the top.

Time will tell. The box is bolted down the same way the plaic one is and it usually holds so it should :fingerscrossed:

Time will tell. The box is bolted down the same way the plaic one is and it usually holds so it should :fingerscrossed:

I think RedJeep was talking about the tabs holding the battery to the tray. Id be curious to see how they last as well. Im sure they would do fine on a DD, but after a year on the trail...?

Glad to see someone has started to make these, always wanted to make one and just ended up trimming a stock tray to fit the Optima.

Back