• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do some Jeeps not have ABS?

I hate ABS. I've owned 3 GM vehicles...one 88 Silverado that didnt have ABS, and two that did (96 S10, and my now daily driver 2000 Silverado) and it sucks.

Just before your truck is ready to come to a hault, ABS kicks in, making groaning motor sounds, and you start sliding out of control.

I'm sorta glad my jeep doesnt come with ABS...but here's another question...maybe im not used to Chrystler's ...

Are the breaks kinda...stiff? I mean, ive read the bad break booster posts, and i can most defenitly stop the truck...i slam on the breaks at 20 and it stops on a dime. But it seems literally like they're very...stiff? Almost like they're non-powered.

Anybody drive a GM then a Jeep can maybe relate. Maybe this is how 95 Chrystler's brakes work?

Any XJ with the 8.25 rear axle has no ABS. The 8.25 got ABS starting with the Liberty.......

D35 had ABS. Not sure about the D44 the 80's XJ's were sometimes equipped with. I'm going to say the D44 did come with ABS? Or you had the choice either way with the D44.

the_bandit87 said:
the d44 wasn't around when ABS was an option IIRC the XJ only got ABS once chryco started changing stuff in 91 or 92.

That is incorrect! The XJ D44 was offered in 87,88, and 89---as was the D35 with ABS. I have an 87 with the D35 and ABS.

really, I didn't know that the Cherokee had ABS while Jeep was still owned by AMC.
The majority of D44s were in 87s, and I have never heard of a D44 in a cherokee having ABS. By the way how long did Chrysler keep the AMC ABS system before they changed it over. I have heard the early ABS systems were troublesome, but they were later replaced with a new system, albiet still for only the D35 axel.

Last edited:
really, I didn't know that the Cherokee had ABS while Jeep was still owned by AMC.
Sure did using the Bosch system with electric pump and no Master cyclinder.

My '89 had ABS, but my '92 doesn't. I learned to drive with ABS, and again without. On highway, dry and clean road conditions, ABS save a new driver from having to remember about braking in an emergency. However, when I'm off highway, and on trail, I need to lock my wheels now and then.

wolfpackjeeper said:
you do know this thread is well over a year and a half old right?

and for some reason people still don't get it that 8.25's don't have abs...

when you turn the key on but do not start the motor does and ABS light come on? Are there any electrical components on the brakes or outer axles.

look, easiest way

Jess said:
ABS or not depends on the rear axle. the 8.25 and D44 did not have it. The D35's all have ABS unless someone has removed it.
Partial credit. The C8.25 and D44 did not have ABS. The only XJs with ABS had the D35, but not all D35s had ABS.

Blaine B. said:
Ok, but the D44 never had ABS?
Correct. Thankfully.

2kLimited said:
my old 96 classic had ABS and the 8.25 (??)

my 2000 has it too but with D35
Proof? I doubt your rear axle was really a C8.25, as nobody who made that claim on NAXJA has been able to prove it.

wolfpackjeeper said:
you do know this thread is well over a year and a half old right?
So maybe someone resurrected the thread after using the SEARCH function. Still going to chastise them for that?
rolleye.gif

Jim www.yuccaman.com

wolfpackjeeper said:
when you turn the key on but do not start the motor does and ABS light come on? Are there any electrical components on the brakes or outer axles.

look, easiest way

The light may not be the best idea. My light will temporarily come on on my '99 and I am 100% positive I have a 8.25 with NO(naturally) ABS.

that is kinda weird.

not really chastising him. most people do not really look at the dates when they search. It took me a while to get into the habit.

Back