• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Stainless Braided Brake Lines

someone please correct me if im wrong

but i remember reading somewhere that using anything other then normal steel brake lines, will give the brake pedal a softer, spongy feeling.

this is because the insides of the stainless steel brake lines are able to flex and expand, and then your brake pedal wont be as firm or as hard., this is why vehicles use as much steel brake line as they possibly can.

there you go! i hope this info is correct.

You've got it backwards. All vehicles with articulating suspensions (and brakes) have some type of flexible brakeline on them that connects the brake calipers to the hard lines on the body. Typically, rubber brakelines are used in OEM applications. By applying a stainless braid over the rubber, you are preventing the rubber from 'ballooning' when brake pressure is applied. The end result is a firmer brake pedal. You will always find stanless braided lines in racing applications. Your statement would probably be true if one replaced all hard lines on the vehicle with flexible lines. However here is no valid reason to do this on an automobile.

These are just my opinions, there are plenty of other experiences to draw from.

the crown lines do claim DOT approval. They never specify lifespan.

I've seen 30 year old cars with their original rubber brake hoses. I doubt any stainless brake hose can last 1/2 that time. The braided stainless lines need to be inspected and replaced far more often than a rubber brake hose.

-The stainless hoses actually have a teflon plastic liner.

Back