• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Bumper-Tire carrier

Thats one bad Looking Jeep. I like your trail destinations on your rear glass too. Beautiful work. Does not look like homebrew. Evey part of your XJ looks good.

Is the bumper based on an existing design? I really like some of these elements

downsized_0408011423a.jpg

I love your swing away, I'm curious what you used for bearings/spindle or where you got em from... I wanna build something similar but maybe not as pretty ;)

I've been planning a new bumper for quite some time now, and Like most of you, there were things I liked about the bumpers I saw and things I did not. I took the ideas that I liked and winged the rest.

Everything was hand built and fabbed from raw materials in my garage with the exception of the spindle, lock & latch and Delrin (to keep rattle at bay).

The tube fenders were built out of 1" gas pipe bought at Lowes and bent with my HF pipe bender. The tops are just jess than 1/8". 1/8" was way too hard to form. The edges were all welded and smoothed out with welders putty, sanded and then painted.

I researched a lot of spindles and I decided on this one; http://www.comp4x4.com/product.php?productid=3&cat=46&page=1 The latch, Delrin and pop lock came from; http://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited:
Here is photo of how I mounted the two RotoPax fuel containers to the carrier.

downsized_0414011106a.jpg

that looks great, awesome job

What size tire is it holding? Is there anyway to grease the spindle? Looks really good. Love the stance of your rig.

Thats a 35x13.50. The spindle is greasable and glides super smooth.

she looks like a best, one of the best done xj's i've ever seen. great job trimming the fenders, i was thinking of taking mine that far out but not running anything over 33x12.50 for a while.

Very nice work! Great looking parts! Im going to be doing something similar in the next couple months. Hopefully be able to make tube front fenders with built in flares. Nice garage too!:cheers:

How much for a rear bumper/tire carrier shipped to Texas? Seriously. the one I have now is home brew from a PO, not too bad but sticks out WAY to far.

Back