• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Bumper-Tire carrier

you some skills fabbing that yourself. looks good and looks like something that would be sold!

Maybe I missed it but, what size tubing is that for the actual tire carrier part of the design?

Looks awesome by the way! :clap:

Like everything I've done it's probably way over built...The tire carrier is built out of; 2x2-1/4" and the center section happened to be 2x2-3/8" (not planned) and the tire mount plate is 1/2".

The carrier spindle is a serious chunk of art; Comp4x4 1750 lb sleeved into the bumper.

The upside is that the bumper is SOLID, the downside is that it adds weight.

just wondering who built those fenders for you? i think i camped next to you in moab this last weekend, and either you or your brother was saying they knew someone that could build a set. ( sweet lookin jeep by the way)

just wondering who built those fenders for you? i think i camped next to you in moab this last weekend, and either you or your brother was saying they knew someone that could build a set. ( sweet lookin jeep by the way)

I posted before i really read it, guess you made them, it was your brother i was talking to.

Green Cherokee with pocket style Bushwackers, right? Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I ripped mine out and had to put them back together.

Last edited:
You sold this jeep, didn't you? And I'm pretty sure I've seen this rig cruise down Lehi Main St. a couple times.. May have been a while ago though.

Nice bumper man, looks great!

I may have missed the answer to this question, but how thick did you make your quarter panel guards out of? What did you use for the template to cut out for the gas door?

Also was thinking about the rivits... Have you had a prob with them popping if you hit stuff? I was thinking about bolting...:greensmok

Been a long time since I've checked in. The jeep is long gone. I used 1/8" plate for all the armor, flat head Allen heads counter sunk hardware. You need to remove the interior panels to place the nylon nuts.

I built the flares out of 1" gas pipe shaped to my liking and skinned with 1/8" plate.
All the templates were made of construction paper, traced to steel plate and plasma cut by hand. Takes some time but you can save some money and the satisfaction that you built it instead of bought it.

Thanks for all the compliments I appreciate it.

Back