• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Auto Repair Shops

Have you guys seen this yet and I'm just behind?

http://www.diyautorepairshops.com/

This has been talked about on the boards for years. Looks really good and a decent deal! I'll be giving it a go in the next week or two.

J

Seems like you're Pizzzing away the savings of DIY by renting a shop space at $30 hr...lol...shyt even a basic oil /trans or brake job would be about the same as bringing it to Jiffy lube or brakes plus after adding shop fee to parts at DIY .

Seems like you're Pizzzing away the savings of DIY by renting a shop space at $30 hr...lol...shyt even a basic oil /trans or brake job would be about the same as bringing it to Jiffy lube or brakes plus after adding shop fee to parts at DIY .

Agreed. Most of the things I do just in my garage. I was thinking during winter and for things that a lift would be quite helpful.

That being said, them having all the tools is the best, considering my lack of tools.

If it's anything like the failed "Auto Bayz" that went in a couple years back down here off Broadway and County Line...... they charge something for EVERYTHING.

It adds up very quickly. Just as well pay a shop and get the repair warrantee.....

Over the last 40 years I have seen a half dozen of these come and go. None ever made it.

Over the last 40 years I have seen a half dozen of these come and go. None ever made it.

I actually had a business plan in progress for my own version of a DIY shop and decided to bail on it due to the amount of initial investment it would have required. I had talked with several of the owners of these shops and found that almost every one of them was struggling just to keep it afloat.

One problem being that cars are always going to get more complicated making it harder for the average dude to work on them. Then there's the fact that enthusiasts tend to love their home garage just as much as their car, so just getting them in the door is a challenge.

In other states where shop space is much more affordable, they are much more common and more likely to be profitable.

I've seen it work on base at the Hobby Shop. But I'd imagine it's somewhat subsidized by the other programs on that base.

Here's the price list. If it was much more than what's listed there I'd just take my chances of getting in trouble and do it at the barracks.

http://www.mccsmiramar.com/pdfs/auto-price-list-2-2011.pdf

A covered stall on a concrete floor is 6 bucks a day. Totally worth it for most maintenance items.

A lift is 6 bucks and hour. Again totally worth it. Did my oil pan change in 3.5 hours and never had to lay down on the ground to get it done.

I generally bring most of my own tools but it's nice to have a tool room right there when you need air tools or something like that.

Did my tires there there other day. Mounted and balanced them.

Just did my water pump and thermostat there this morning before I came to work. Cost me 6 dollars to rent the covered bay (no rack needed for water pump) and had a place to throw my old parts away and dispose of the old coolant.

If these places are charging 30 dollars an hour out in town I'd be hard pressed to justify that for anything at all. Especially when you consider that something like a transmission change or pulling an engine is going to take all day or two. That'd get expensive very quickly.

I actually had a business plan in progress for my own version of a DIY shop and decided to bail on it due to the amount of initial investment it would have required. I had talked with several of the owners of these shops and found that almost every one of them was struggling just to keep it afloat.

One problem being that cars are always going to get more complicated making it harder for the average dude to work on them. Then there's the fact that enthusiasts tend to love their home garage just as much as their car, so just getting them in the door is a challenge.

In other states where shop space is much more affordable, they are much more common and more likely to be profitable.

Insurance costs must be insane?

Back