• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distilled Water in the Radiator

I've always thought the premixed antifreeze was a total rip off regardless of the type of water they use. You pay basically the same price for half the antifreeze.

I don't know what they use in the premix but don't use it if you have an aluminum water pump. It voids the warranty, or atleast that's what the autozone clerk told me and I had to buy the 9.99/gallon maxlife shit:mad: Said the other stuff gums up the aluminum pumps for some reason? I got Dirk's new 3 Row CSF and all I can say is wow! Blows away any GDI that I've seen. Awsome quality, shiny black all metal, and a great price!Sorry, back on topic,lol.

I don't think that's right. Pure water boils at 212, like everyone knows. But if I remember my chemistry class (it has been awhile) solids suspended in the water will make it boiler at a HOTTER temperature

Put some tap water in the microwave, and then put some Deionized water in and see which one boils quicker.

Suspended solids often make water boil at a higher temperature, but not everything you can mix with water will do that!

Here's a fun little tidbit from Organic Chem (many many moons ago, Kemo Sabe!)

(begin trivia)

The mixture of 50/50 water and ethanol results in a solution that will not fraction - either by gravity or by distillation. It will sit pretty much forever without seperating, and will boil off completely at 73*C (I think) and will not fraction as a condensate. This is known as an "azeotrope," and there are other combinations which will behave in this manner as well. All are uncommon but noteworthy.

(end trivia)

5-90

5-90 said:

The mixture of 50/50 water and ethanol results in a solution that will not fraction - either by gravity or by distillation. It will sit pretty much forever without seperating, and will boil off completely at 73*C (I think) and will not fraction as a condensate. This is known as an "azeotrope," and there are other combinations which will behave in this manner as well. All are uncommon but noteworthy.

(end trivia)

5-90

Now that's deep:D

Back