• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnect ABS

dorkfish8765

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if there is any way to disconnect the ABS system in a 98 xj, i was replacing the u-joint on the driver side and broke the wheel speed sensor gear in one spot(not the entire thing) and now its wanting to think the tires locking up really annoying. any thoughts.

I disconected the sensors at the hubs on two 95s & it was the cure. I picked up this tip from the tech section of four wheeler last year. I have the parts to convert to non abs & do away with the pump & the rats nest of plumbing but haven't done it yet, it's not necesary if you disconect the sensors. You'll be happier off-road without it.

thanks i wasnt sure if disconnecting the bulbs would have some negative effects on the computer trying to find wheel speed, but ill give it a shot thanks.

that was a stupid question found the fuse and it brakes as normal. thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.

ya i thought about that to but im moving down to texas in a couple months, didnt think id be needing the ABS much down there.

:cheers: ABS is not a good thing off road, at least the type they put in 90s jeep products. You don't have total control of your brakes. The pump chatters & the brakes surge in downhill off road, hit the brakes hard situations. Possibly these problems have been resolved in newer the newer rigs, and yes, ABS is good stuff in ice and snow. Just my opinion and experiences.

cherokee chuck said:
:cheers: ABS is not a good thing off road, at least the type they put in 90s jeep products. You don't have total control of your brakes. The pump chatters & the brakes surge in downhill off road, hit the brakes hard situations. Possibly these problems have been resolved in newer the newer rigs, and yes, ABS is good stuff in ice and snow. Just my opinion and experiences.

Never good if you have the bendix 9.................. I loved having no brakes at all :doh:

You could always just disconnect the sensor (disabling ABS) when you hit the trail. That way you would still have the benfits of ABS on the street where it's needed most.

Bendix 9

Eeeeeew!!!!!

I had a customer (when I worked for NAPA) that took to calling his Cherokee the "Scare-okee" for just that reason. I found him an ABS pump motor when his died. word of warning Bendix 9 ABS pump motors aren't cheap.....

ABS in any form is a bad deal off road. That is because when ABS works properly it doesn't allow the wheels to lock up. When off road you want your wheels to lock up because when you lock them up the tires build mini-mounds of gravel and dirt in front of them. These mounds are very effective at stopping your rig. When ABS operates your rig slows down according to the available traction your tires have, which is not going to be very good on off road surfaces. No matter how hard you press on the brake the ABS won't let you lock them up and you'll just continue to roll right into that tree... So always pull your fuse before you hit the trail...

Back