• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disable Stock 1992 Alarm?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
My Jeep went on the fritz out of town and the "security" wouldn't go off so I couldn't start the car. The dealership has yet to look at it and I don't really wanna be stuck. Is there a way I can do something to completely disable the stock alarm so I can save myself the $$$ and hassle of the dealership?

Thanks,
Kevin

My 91 freaks out too. . . Don't know if the 92 is the same alarm system. . .

I have found if I put the key in the drivers door, and lock / unlock it it will eventually clear. If it won't do it the first or second try, I lock it with the power lock button and try again. Sometimes it takes a dozen times but it eventually clears. It appears you can disable the system from the rear hatch - here are a few other threads:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42664&highlight=factory+alarm+disable

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9413&page=2&pp=15&highlight=factory+alarm+disable

There is a key switch in both front doors and the rear hatch to disarm the system as well as the keyless remote if you have one. It can only be eliminated by removing the alarm module AND replacing the engine controller. The best thing to do is just fix it. You can put the system into diagnostics mode to check the inputs. This is done by putting the key in and turning it to the acc position 3 times and then taking the key out, the horn should honk. You can then actuate the inputs (door lock switches, key in the doors, remote, door ajar switches, hood switch) to see which ones work as the horn will honk when it sees an input.

Hmm. Will the engine not start up without with alarm module of I just remove one? Because I'll have to work on it as I had to pull the wires on the horn. Not so nice neighborhood + alarm going off really annoyingly = not so good things probably :D

verrive said:
Hmm. Will the engine not start up without with alarm module of I just remove one? Because I'll have to work on it as I had to pull the wires on the horn. Not so nice neighborhood + alarm going off really annoyingly = not so good things probably :D

See the problem is when the alarm is set the engine will only start and die, it won't stay running. Unpluging the alarm module won't change that because the engine controller is looking for a message from the alarm module if its ok to run the engine.

Not sure exactly what you are asking. The disarm switches in the LF, RF, and hatch ground a wire to reset the alarm but may also trigger the dome lamps to come on. Personally I would just replace the bad switch(s).

Back