• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt cheap XJ OBD-II engine monitoring with your smart phone

well unless your 01 and my 01 are drastically different, I can say with confidence it will work just fine.

Did you guys make a determination on which will clear alarms? Forgive the ignorance but I've never used an OBD reader to clear codes (I only have the Predator for my Dmax and never had to clear anything).

Please make a list of what I need to get and links if you'd be so kind.

I just threw a code today on the first real ride in the XJ after all my work. No noticeable effects in performance but has the Check Engine. The fishing was good however.

Thanks

I'm unclear on where the WiFi connection comes from? Just read the PLX page.

So I only need the PLX then Dash Command App? Sheesh I'm slow sometimes.
Spell it out like I'm 3..

ynuny8y3.jpg

The unit that plugs into the obd2 port creates it's own wifi signal. You have to manually add the IP address and such. Do you use iPhone or android stuff?

iPhone 4s.

Seems like something like this is a "must have".

I have a 5S but one thing I didn't like is when you turn the wifi on it cuts your 3G/4G data off. So I hooked up an old regular 4 (no S) that i had laying around. Works awesome.

Here we go.. ordered the Kiwi 2 and downloaded the DashCommand App. Shouldoughtabe a blast to tinker with (and could save someone's bacon in the middle of BF Nevada). I have a code stuck in my '99 that I'll be checking out ASAP.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited:
I have a 5S but one thing I didn't like is when you turn the wifi on it cuts your 3G/4G data off.

The more recent versions of iOS seem to recognize that the wifi connection to the ELM device doesn't route anywhere else. My iPhone still connects to the internet via Verizon while connected to the ELM via wifi.

The more recent versions of iOS seem to recognize that the wifi connection to the ELM device doesn't route anywhere else. My iPhone still connects to the internet via Verizon while connected to the ELM via wifi.

That's good to know! In some ways is rather use my phone. Bigger screen and all. In other ways it's nice to have something I can always leave hooked up.

Seems like a lot of code readers give the code number but do not ID the cause. Is this the case here?
Is there a reliable list that puts the code in plain English? Having never used an OBD to troubleshoot..

Cooooooooooool :)

Whatever any of you do, do not buy the LYL branded adapter. It doesn't work for shit. I ordered one, because it was the cheapest that amazon prime offered, as a spare. Yes, most all of these are the same, maybe I got a dud, who knows? I sent it back for a refund, will order a different one from another seller.

Back