• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Digital SLR Fans

matt6669

NAXJA Member # 1602
well I know quite a few of you are digital camera nuts so I figured I would ask here.

I am in the process of finally buying a good camera. I am buying this camera because I currently study Architecture at college and we are always demanded to be taking new and different pictures to further our projects and a good camera helps out like no other.

I am currently looking at two options.

First is the Nikon D80 with a 18-55mm VR lens and a 55-200mm VR lens which is 799.

Second is the Nikon D200 with 18-200 mm VR lens. This option is like 1400.

Is the D200 worth the extra 600 bucks?? I will be doing anything from taking pictures of scale models to taking pictures of real buildings and everything inbetween. So I need a fairly versicle camera.

Thanks for the help guys.
Matt

For that variance in the budget I'd look at a D90 over the 80...and wouldn't waste a dime on the D200.

Are you shooting indoors at all? D90 will do better with low light ISO than the D80. You can also shoot 720i HD video at 24fps with it. ;)

D80 is pushing tech though...and the D90 has a much bigger screen on back, in-camera editing, self-cleaning sensor, and better low light ISO. Body for body it's about $250-300 difference between the two.

He could get a D90 with that same 18-200 VR II lens for $1500...if he really needed the zoom. Or there's the D90 with 18-105 VR lens for $1169. If no need for the long reach, I'd go with the second one.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I am going to end up buying just the Nikon D80 body, my brother has the two same lens offered for the D80 kit that he's going to let me borrow and sooner or later I am going to buy 18-200mm Vr lens down the road I think. I looked into buying just the Nikon D90 just the body but its like 900 bucks so I think I am gonna get just the D80 for like 550 instead.

Anyone else have any other good info im all eyes. I will probably buy middle of the week if I don't hear anything else.

I've been very happy with my D60, and it wasnt all that expensive...

the difference with light metering, and ability to choose your focal point and depth as compared to a point and shoot is well worth the cash...

also the 'continuous' option for shooting makes taking pics of jeep stuff fun...

Back