• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference in 4.0l Blocks per year?

I pulled my renix block apart today that I got for 50$

and it has 7 Girdles. According to my 2000 year manual, the 2000 model has 7 girdles aswell.... Only difference I see is in figure 67 and 76 in the shop manuals for 2000 is that there is there is a cap brace that goes onto the caps.

Last edited:
They both have 7 main bearing caps.

In an effort to reduce NVH, they put a main bearing stud girdle on at some point. It can be used on earlier engines.

But if you stroke any of the engines, the girdle creates clearance issues and has to be shimmed.

From a swap thread in another Forum, a 1988 XJ block fits and works with all the 2000 components in a 2000 XJ.

Only issue ive run into is figuring out the Coil packs/distributorless ignition, vs the dizzy on the 1987. I pulled the dizzy. But what goes into the hole? I havnt had time to look at my 2000 yet.

The distributor and the coil-on-plug sensor both go in the same hole. Bring the engine to top dead center, properly index the sensor or distributor, and install it.

Aight I would do that for last then, I am not digging into my 2000 motor until my 87 block is finished.

I have a 94 firebird formula with a lt1, and they are the same block as early sbc's. But instead of using a distributor is using a optispark which is mounted on the timing cover. Therefore, the oil pump is run off a plastic mount with a metal drive gear.

Thinking this jeep is along the same idea as that. But I have not look again yet

pulled the block down today, and have only found one Rod bearing that was slightly scored. Cylinder walls are nice yet, and main bearings were just fine still. Hoping I can sell this crank and other parts of the motor and make some profit so I can get started on this stroker.

I know this is a old thread but for anyone doing research this is partially wrong info. The 99 and up xj block uses a cam thrust plate so the block is different. So if you are using a 93 block for example in your 99 you would need to use a older style cam and not a 99 cam.

Tim

I don't think this is is true, so proof is required.

I do know that any 1991-2001 XJ or 93-98 ZJ engine block will interchange with any other. You simply re-use the flywheel (if required), manifolds, belt driven accessories, sensors, and head as needed on the donor engine block. I would think that the earlier blocks also interchange, I just don't have any threads to link to as proof.

The blocks being different as far as bosses go was an early misconception. 4.0L XJ blocks are mostly similar.

As far as the cam in the later blocks you can use the earlier with an earlier timing set. If you are just doing a drop in and not worrying about the cam its not an issue. If you are just replacing the cam with a stock one the late model cam had a much better retention setup.

The problems with blocks comes when you try to use a 99+ WJ block or a 00+ TJ block.

Here is some good reading on blocks:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52

Back