• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dies on Accelleration

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
OK...'89 Wagoneer Ltd. (XJ) with 4.0 L. Coming off of a stop sign, accellerates fine for about 5 seconds...then engine dies. Re-start....only to die shortly after accelleration again. Thirt time...same. Fourth time very gentle on foot-feed...keeps running...but feels lke gonna die any minute. With more foot-feed, does die. Fifth time....keep in neutral after starting...and rev engine. It revs...runnning rough at first...then clears and revs high. After that, made it all the way home with no problem.

I'm thinking fuel problem? Clogged filter? Why do I think so? Well, ran a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner through it about two tanks ago. Noticed a miss at idle while cleaner in first tank. Miss seemed to reduce with each successive tank. Could the STP be the problem? Could it have cleaned gunk from tank and/or lines...clogged filter or injectors?

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance!

fuel filter is easy to get to but remember to relieve pressure in sys.
I had a problem with rotten 4" length of rubber fuel line in tank on my 87. fuel pump forward mounted on tank.
also had similar experience with clogged catalytic converter

Yea....thinking tps too. Have been having a problem with hesitation on accelleration...tested the tps once according to Chilton's and got bad readings...might try both that and the fuel filter. This morning on the way to work...was fine. Go figure!

For anyone following this post...got a TPS at NAPA...$105....but seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet...but plan to. I figure the way it died instantly at low throttle...wasn't a filter problem. I hope it solves the problem.

Back