• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Didn't make it back from the last trip!

We had the 9" of the bigger V8 Falcons here during the 70's with big ventalated discs too on some models like the GT version or the Fairlanes and LTD's. But they are around 65" wide I was told so would have to be cut down. Still thinking of doing that myself as can borrow the bar and jig needed to go inside the housing while welding. They I think use the smaller car bearing size at the ends so is that somthing I need to worry about? Do I risk failure by using that rather than the bigger F150's style?
We did have the Bronco's here for a while also only in the full size which ran them. But with the bigger stud pattern I would have to get new axles made or re-drilled anyway. But I didn't know they were the right width though?

well it depends on what you consider the right width. My 33 X 12.50's stick out more then when on my D35 but it is not that much more. I believe the Bronco axle I got was about 64" or so wide. So yes it is widder but the spring pads are within .5" and the yj ebrake cable hooks on the factory 9" and the yj line bolted right to the hard lines on the housing! Now if that is nto an easy swap I don't know what one is. I don't know for sure the f150 and Bronco from 81-86 shared the exact same axle set up but I was told it did. I do know that the 81-86 9" that I got went in easy as pie. Here is an image to show how far the rear sticks out...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/xjghost/DSCF0032.jpg

Unless you're moving up in tires size, just get one of those TJ 44s, cut the brackets off and be done. You don't do alot of rock crawlin type stuff anyways right? 9" is overkill IMO.

basalt51 said:
Unless you're moving up in tires size, just get one of those TJ 44s, cut the brackets off and be done. You don't do alot of rock crawlin type stuff anyways right? 9" is overkill IMO.
I was thinking that until I got quoted $3300 for the TJ axle assembly. Then still have to do the mounts swap and ring and pinion plus Tru-Trac diff centre adding up to a whopping $5000! Parts are just way too expensive over here even once in US dollars it would still have added up to $3750!

Ghost said:
well it depends on what you consider the right width. My 33 X 12.50's stick out more then when on my D35 but it is not that much more. I believe the Bronco axle I got was about 64" or so wide. So yes it is widder but the spring pads are within .5" and the yj ebrake cable hooks on the factory 9" and the yj line bolted right to the hard lines on the housing! Now if that is nto an easy swap I don't know what one is. I don't know for sure the f150 and Bronco from 81-86 shared the exact same axle set up but I was told it did. I do know that the 81-86 9" that I got went in easy as pie. Here is an image to show how far the rear sticks out...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/xjghost/DSCF0032.jpg

I got pulled off the road for having 10 mm of thread showing past the guard! I do not have a list for the later Bronco's but this shows how many 9" widths that you guys can select from.

Axle Widths:

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches

67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches

77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches

67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches

66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches

77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches

67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches

64 Falcon 58 inches

67 Cougar 60 inches

67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)

72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches

73-86 65.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)

66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle

67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches

67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where To Find:

67-73 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars

66-71 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks

57-59 V8 Fords and Mercurys

77-81 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type Of 9" Housings:

67-73 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines

57-68 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines

Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops

69-77 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount

How To Recognize 9" Housing Centers:

57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug

58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes

60-67 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover

63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears

Types of 9" Axles:

28 spline axles cannot be shortened and resplined (they're tapered)

72 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened

73 and later 9" (cars) have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened

67-73 Mustang axles identified by wheel flange:

oval hole - 28 splines

two large holes and counter sunk center - 31 splines

More Facts:

5 on 5 lug pattern is a truck pattern

A 9" complete rear axle is approximately 35 pounds heavier than an 8.8 rear axle with approximately the same components.

It is common to find a 9" in a old Falcon or Comet that has had a HIPO SMALL block with 31 splines and a locker.

If the case has two verticle RIBS ,from top to middle of case it is a good IRON type IF in the very center of this case there is the letter "N" than this is a NODULAR CASE (GREAT) this is the strongest factory case made BY FORD!!!

The ranger truck works good with a 9" from a 64 to 71 Falcon, Comet, some 65 to 69 Mustangs or 64 to 67 Ranchero V8 cars.

Pity the 60" Jeep width is on the weaker housing :(

We have a 93 YJ that has a factory D44 and locker so might want to look into that possibility..

RichP said:
We have a 93 YJ that has a factory D44 and locker so might want to look into that possibility..

No YJ's ever sold in this country but thanks for the suggestion. We had no Jeeps at all between 84 and 94. Halfway through 94 they released the XJ and then the following year the TJ followed later again by the ZJ.

Why not have a chat with Wooders, he's puting the Mog diff in the TJ so will be selling his D44 with ARB locker shortly. Might be a good buy for you if you can wait.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
Why not have a chat with Wooders, he's puting the Mog diff in the TJ so will be selling his D44 with ARB locker shortly. Might be a good buy for you if you can wait.

Cheers
Steve
Already spoke to him a week ago about it but there are 6 guys in the list ahead of me and it wont be avalible until April.
Thinking now that maybe I should be getting a D44 from a XJ as been getting a few comments that a Currie high 9" is not the best way to go. A high pinion D44 would be great though. Anyone know much about them for the rear as take it they are front centres used?

Emailed the guys at TrueHi9 and there were things that I had not included in the Currie comparison like the Tru_trac which is included in the Hi9 from them as well as 1310 yoke adpator. So the price difference between them is less than $400 now and as no one has managed to break one of these but many have the Currie one, looks the best way to go. Might still get Currie to make up the housing and axles to the right length though. It is pity that the Tru-Trac does not come in 35 spline but I think the 31 spline with 32's and 4.56 should be strong enough dont you think with what I do?
A d44 once I fit all the same gear into it and add the cost of a SYE and drive shaft to it works out the same cost. Might as well go for the Ford Hi9 I think at this stage.

I am still thinking of fitting a D44 and has been suggested that I fit some Alloy USA axles at the same time ( included in the above price comparison ). With the towing across deserts etc that I do and 4.56, Tru-Trac and 32" MTR's, do you think it is worth while doing or do D44 not break when under 35" tyres are run?
Also any idea the ground clearance differences betwen the D35 and the D44 and 9" axles. Also does anyone know the pinion length differences between the D44 and D35? The 9" too if you happen to know. :)

Now here is a curve ball. For around the same price as a Hi9 and Currie housing and axles I can get a Rock Jock 60! Anyone know much about them apart what is on the Currie site? Not sure on the ground clearances differences between them all but the Rock Jock would weigh less I think than a Hi9 setup.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/cjrockjock.aspx

The D35 vs D44 pinion is about 3/4" and the 8.25 seems to use the same driveshaft as the D44 (at least the one I used was the same) As for ground clearance I haven't measured it but it looks the same to me.

Thankyou you for that information and is helpful as gives me a chance then to run a stock front shaft from a auto in the back with a SYE. Cant do that with a D35 as the shorter pinion length means that the drive shaft is too short.

Back