• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did you bolt your hockey pucks in?

Handlebars said:
I epoxied the double hockey puck bumpstop extensions to my front axle housing about 5 years ago and they have finally come loose. I'm thinking of bolting them back in, I'm wondering if the bolt head damages the bumpstop that sticks down from the top?

Can you drill into the pucks and counter sink the bolt head?

just used some paneling glue in a caulking tube....its been holding on for a couple months with no problems. Its more work to bolt it in then it is to just glue down every once in a while.

I bolted mine in with some 5/16" Bolts. It is a serious pain to get the nut started on the the trackbar side because you can't see what your doing and cant get your hand in there. You have to use a flex socket thingamawhatchamacallit.

I first glued mine in and they didn't last halfway through the first trail, so then I bolted them in. As you tighten the bolt the head gets mostly sucked down into the puck, so no issues with the bumpstop......even though it wouldn't hurt the bumpstop. No big deal to bolt them up, just need a swivel socket or universal to tighten it up.

used some heavy duty 3m glue, 5150, and those things couldnt be beat off with a hammer

why would it matter?? mine jsut ride with the spring they aren't going to fall out unless the spring falls out.

stoney

xjnation said:
never put em in....just made sure the coils totally bottomed out before the shocks. I have never run extended pumpstops.....

What tire size are you running? And fomr what i hear your springs will prematurely sag due to overcompressing them.

I just rough them up with a wire wheel (usually whel a couple of grooves in them too) and use any old RTV I have laying around.

I have to redo them about twice a year, when I tear apart the front end - so it's always fresh.

I've only had one come off once and (with RTV) it would have been a trail repair if I hadn't noticed it when I was airing up!

bburge

xjnation said:
never put em in....just made sure the coils totally bottomed out before the shocks. I have never run extended pumpstops.....

Coils bottoming out is coil bind, and it quickly accelerates spring fatigue and sagging. Bumpstops are also much softer to land on..........

xjnation said:

I don't think you ever make your coils "go solid". Most people couldn't, or wouldn't, run a shock short enough to make this happen.

I say most people, but I think you could probably hook something this fawked up without problem.

CRASH

Back