• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detriot locker?

TEXJLE said:
If it's a DD don't forget to price out ARB air lockers. They give you the best road manners matched with the best off road manners - you know when they're locked and when they're not! I would say that that Detroits are great for the fair weather/crawler rig but not the best choice for a DD.
Kind of curious: have you driven one as a DD with Detroits? I put probably close to 60K street miles (if not more) on mine in about 2 ~ 3 years without any problems. Sun, snow, rain... you name it, I drove it.

jk333 said:
You have a detroit easy locker dont you, Detroit's lunchbox locker.

No I got a real detroit locker full case, I like driving with the locker, Im just not to fond of the clunks that I get when taking off straight. How close does your tire size have to be to run these lockers smooth? I got 32 bfg ats 11.5 on 15 rims. I dont think that they wore evenly, I rotated them so the 2 closest matches were in the back, but they are not exact.

I had a full detroit locker in my Jeep CJ years ago. As mentioned earlier it is sensitive to equal air pressure in both rear tires. Another thing, I noticed mine would pull to the left when accelerating and I found a spring perch bolt broke. I now have a welded rear. It's good for off road only. I trailer to the mountain. When I go with a heavier rear end, it will have the real detroit. I loved the one I had years ago.

Your uncle is probably concerned about a lockers tendency to run off the crown of the road.A slick off camber road with a 200 ft fall , will start a good "Pucker Factor" when the rear wants to go to the low side.
I,ve got about 100K on my Detroit,couldn,t be happier.

Wayne

87xjco said:
Too late to change now Daniel, just finished putting your 9" together with the Detroit today.

Everyone's gonna die sometime!

But as far as drivability, Icy roads and Detroits can be scary, you wouldn't want to goose it on a curvy icy road, or shift a manual without being careful on an icy curve, or use your gears too much to slow you down on an icy hill.

On a slick off camber hill or loose soil side hill the rear end may tend to slide downhill.

Also long sandy hills going down, the rear end tends to want to float.

But i've been all those places and haven't died.....yet, just have to be aware and more careful.

ARB or OX eliminates all those problems, but at a considerable price!

Mine with the 5 speed is alot more noticable then it was in my other rig with the automatic, I feel it tug to the left when shifting, sometimes a loud pop after making a turn in gear. Lot's of bangs and pops in parking lots.
nice, i was just tryin to tell my uncle that i wasnt going to die and well he didnt want to listen to me so i posted this and got some good feed back to show him that there r ppl out there that feel the same way i do and that is that detriots r great and he worries to much. did all the parts come in.

Back