• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DetoursUSA Slimline bumper

mine came last week and i put it on yesterday. smoothie with 2" receiver and tire carrier slanted angle to match the rear windshield. (i still have to cut the excess fender trim, which was my requested length of rocker). drove it for about 120 miles so far today, and very satisfied that there's zero rattling at all.

c393d777.jpg

Very nice. Does anyone have any pics of how they mount other than the 4 bolts on each side like the stock bumper?

Muckleroy how come your pics were put up only 8 hours ago & they're red "X"'s already?

Ah yes, Detours bumpers ... my permanent drool.
What I don't understand is: how do you get anything to stay in the receiver hole? Maybe I'm missing something.

Beautiful XJ 330licious!

The hole for the pin is on the inside of the bumper. I like that feature instead of a cluttered bumper face.

Muckleroy how come your pics were put up only 8 hours ago & they're red "X"'s already?

Ah yes, Detours bumpers ... my permanent drool.
What I don't understand is: how do you get anything to stay in the receiver hole? Maybe I'm missing something.

Beautiful XJ 330licious!

Networking issue on my server, everything is back to normal now, so you be able to see the pictures.

I too am looking for a rear bumper/tire carrier for my XJ. What I do not like about most of them I see is the fact that the hinges and locks for the tire carrier is welded/bolted to the back of the bumper. I like the ones that have them integrated/built into the top of the bumper leaving the face of the bumper with no protusions which include the receiver hitch.

The reason for the face mount is that when you mount them on top of the bumper, you end up blocking the reverse lights since that's the only place where the pivot and latch won't prevent your liftgate from opening. You're probably going to have d-ring tabs welded through the face of your bumper anyways and the Detours design doesn't decrease your departure angle anymore than the d-ring tabs do...

Very nice. Does anyone have any pics of how they mount other than the 4 bolts on each side like the stock bumper?

Can't really take a picture once it's mounted up. The tie-in brackets actually replace part of the nutstrip inside the frame rails so you can't see them with the bumper in place. The Slimline also gets some additional strength via the welded on endcaps. The two bolts you can see toward the front of the endcaps sandwich the body between the bumper and two steel plates mounted behind the trim panels on the inside of the rear quarter panels.

The hole for the pin is on the inside of the bumper. I like that feature instead of a cluttered bumper face.

The holes for your safety chains are also tucked up behind the bumper...

And so long as we're sharing, here's a couple pictures of my Edge Cut Slimline...

100_7708.jpg

100_7709.jpg

1st off, let me say........the response from SlimLine owners is truely remarkable, no one could ask for better customers, 2nd......nowadays, it's hard to get the free time to post on forums such as NAXJA, time gets crazy with small shops, as much as you want to post, your free time gets extremely limited, in my case, time is consumed by my 2 year old son........

All that said and done, the SlimLine is alive and well....we dropped the webpage for updating, honestly between Detours being busy and our Webmaster being busy, it has yet to happen.

The old webpage is here: http://detoursusa.com/xjbumper.php

Changes/updates include the "Rough-cut Edition" is no longer available, everything else is good along with pricing for now.

Ya'll have been great, I look forward to work'in with a customer base such as the one we currently have in the future!!

Thankyou for your support!

So which is stronger? The slimline or the tailbone?

For rock impact, slimline is far and away stronger.
For recovery, probably the same.
The slimline is probably a stronger tire carrier, though I suspect you'd have to go well beyond 35s to notice the difference.

So which is stronger? The slimline or the tailbone?

I believe they both have the same mounting system and hardware, but the outer skin of the slimline will of course be stronger since it is made up of all kinds of crazy steel instead of the stock bumper. Plus the tailbone has no side protection like the slimline does.

For those who have this bumper with the 2" receiver have you used it to tow or just as a recovery point?
Would this be considered a class III bumper?

thanks, that's what i figured. I have some 3/4in coil spacers up front to even out the lift, so I think I'll remove them when I get the bumper on

are the factory bumper mounts reused when mounting the slimline (the black mounts that are attached to the bumper and a PITA to get off of the bumper itself)?

are the factory bumper mounts reused when mounting the slimline (the black mounts that are attached to the bumper and a PITA to get off of the bumper itself)?

Nope, toss em. The Slimline's mounts are an integral part of the bumper. They are beefy and are welded all the way through the bumper as they also serve as your D-ring mounts.

Back