• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DetoursUSA Slimline bumper

DetoursUSA bumper on the trail.
detoursusa_bumper15.jpg

How do these things mount underneath? I've got a tank skid I want to install... but can't due to my receiver...but it's a great looking bumper and you're in the running to be lilred's new rear bumper.

lilredxj99 said:
How do these things mount underneath? I've got a tank skid I want to install... but can't due to my receiver...but it's a great looking bumper and you're in the running to be lilred's new rear bumper.

My XJ came with the Up Country package. So it had the gas tank skid. It also had a OEM hitch.

I asked Mark at DetoursUSA if the bumper would pose any problems with my goodies and he told me I'd have to cut a little off the nut strap on the factory hitch.

Before I get jerked out using this bumper I need to finshish a few things. I may have posted here ealier, that I didn't think it came with instructions, so I just installed it. Later during clean up I found the instructions, so I need to go back and do some things I missed.

Right now it is tied in just like the factory bumper was, 8 bolts.

It's fine, until I need to be suspended from something like a tree. ;)

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, the missing steps Mudderoy is referring to actually tie the bumper into the unibody "frame rails". It's not held on solely by the 8 factory bolts.

As for fitment with a skid plate or hitch, the bumper will not directly interfere with the mounting of either as the tie in brackets mount inside the "frame rail", not underneath it where the skid and hitch bolt on. Where you may run into difficulty is with the hardware as the DetoursUSA bumper doesn't use the rear most nut strip hole. You'll need to get 2 new (very) short bolts when your remount your skid and/or hitch if they use that rear most hole. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of time to figure all this out as the mounting brackets and my DPG skid plate are all that I have mounted at this time. It's been slow going due to the end caps on my first bumper being smashed by UPS on the way here. Mark called today to let me know my 2nd bumper will be shipping out by the end of this week. Let's hope UPS is a little gentler this time.:twak:

Mudderoy, you and I would make a great match right now between my "brackets only" and your "bumper only" mounting jobs. :D You must have been in a real hurry to mount it and not be worried about all that leftover hardware. Directions can be your friend. :rtm:

fyrfytr1717 said:
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, the missing steps Mudderoy is referring to actually tie the bumper into the unibody "frame rails". It's not held on solely by the 8 factory bolts.

As for fitment with a skid plate or hitch, the bumper will not directly interfere with the mounting of either as the tie in brackets mount inside the "frame rail", not underneath it where the skid and hitch bolt on. Where you may run into difficulty is with the hardware as the DetoursUSA bumper doesn't use the rear most nut strip hole. You'll need to get 2 new (very) short bolts when your remount your skid and/or hitch if they use that rear most hole. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of time to figure all this out as the mounting brackets and my DPG skid plate are all that I have mounted at this time. It's been slow going due to the end caps on my first bumper being smashed by UPS on the way here. Mark called today to let me know my 2nd bumper will be shipping out by the end of this week. Let's hope UPS is a little gentler this time.:twak:

Mudderoy, you and I would make a great match right now between my "brackets only" and your "bumper only" mounting jobs. :D You must have been in a real hurry to mount it and not be worried about all that leftover hardware. Directions can be your friend. :rtm:

No hurry. I really didn't think he sent any instructions. I figured he must have thought it was so simple anyone could do it, so I just did it. Like I said, during clean up I found the instructions. I'll probably take it off this coming weekend and fix it up right.

BTW, you know he added bracing (I'm assuming) to the the ends of the bumper for shipping? I bet it was because of your situation.

detoursusa_bumper11.jpg

Did your bumper (the bent one) have those metal straps from the sides to the bumper?

Mudderoy said:
BTW, you know he added bracing (I'm assuming) to the the ends of the bumper for shipping? I bet it was because of your situation.

detoursusa_bumper11.jpg

Did your bumper (the bent one) have those metal straps from the sides to the bumper?

Yep, he said he started doing that some time back when DHL bent one.

BumperDamage1.jpg

BumperDamage4.jpg

Wow! I didn't think it had the bracing. OMG! They must have used your bumper as a battering ram!

Thanks guys... I was hoping that a bumper that looked that good had more mounting points than just the factory point and the small ones into the quarters... great that makes me feel alot better...

hmm... so I guess it's between c-rok and detours... oh the agony....

I've got a c4x4 front winch bumper and love it...but I want the ones w/ the quarter guards, but bushwhackers are going to be in the works. (maybe)

Last edited:
lilredxj99 said:
hmm... so I guess it's between c-rok and detours... oh the agony....

Those were my two choices as well, but I hate the C-rok tire carrier that blocks your rear view completely, so Detours was my final decision. I'm going to wait for now though, since I just bought a locker and about to get a new set of wheels/tires.

Now......what, 4..5 weeks later, UPS is finally getting that battering ram back to me.......probably tommorrow. geeeze........ehh, looks like the wife will get a bumper out of the deal...lol.

We've been shipping with the brace's for a few years now, instructions are typically wrapped to bumper or with your reciept in the packing.

Thanks for the support guys!

What does this bumper cost shipped to 77502. Tilted mount and everything. Just need to know how much I need to pull from the jeep account!!!! This bumper is a Beauty!!! Exactly what I have been Looking for. :wave1:

Well if the bumper wont hold up for a little abuse by the UPS man,it sure wont like having the weight of a Jeep land on it!

can someone take a close up of how the tire carrier mounts to the bumper?

Thanks,
Mike

RCP Phx said:
Well if the bumper wont hold up for a little abuse by the UPS man,it sure wont like having the weight of a Jeep land on it!

Well, if you land your Jeep flat on it's side you're going to have bigger issues to worry about than whether or not your endcap bent...

When installed on the Jeep, the bumper and the unibody work together to reinforce one another. During shipping however the endcaps are a little on the vulnerable side. You'll notice most of the other bumper manufacturers use bolt-on endcaps. I imagine this is primarily to make shipping easier. I personally think it's cheesy and much prefer how the DetoursUSA endcaps are welded onto the bumper. Which would you prefer, an endcap that is attached to the bumper with a couple of small bolts and is unsupported along the quarter panel, or one that is fully welded to the bumper and bolted to the quarter panel?

So far as taking a hit goes, I've seen those (other manufacturers') bolt-on end caps get knocked loose by the rocks and end up either hanging down or getting pushed up into the rear quarter panels.

KryptoniteXJ said:
What does this bumper cost shipped to 77502. Tilted mount and everything. Just need to know how much I need to pull from the jeep account!!!! This bumper is a Beauty!!! Exactly what I have been Looking for. :wave1:

Depends on the options you choose (receiver, lights, etc.) You'll find however that it will cost you significantly less than a Warn or one of the other big name bumper/carriers, and you'll get it custom built the way you want it. Give Mark a call and let him know exactly what you want. He is very customer service oriented. In fact, don't try to place an order when you are pressed for time as you will most likely end up chatting for awhile. :yap:

Mark is excellent to deal with. Great customer service. Give him a call, he'll give you an exact price shipped to you.

mine came last week and i put it on yesterday. smoothie with 2" receiver and tire carrier slanted angle to match the rear windshield. (i still have to cut the excess fender trim, which was my requested length of rocker). drove it for about 120 miles so far today, and very satisfied that there's zero rattling at all.

c393d777.jpg

Last edited:
It look very nice.

I too am looking for a rear bumper/tire carrier for my XJ. What I do not like about most of them I see is the fact that the hinges and locks for the tire carrier is welded/bolted to the back of the bumper. I like the ones that have them integrated/built into the top of the bumper leaving the face of the bumper with no protusions which include the receiver hitch.

The one I like most is the JCR stage 3 unit. I contacted them a while ago about getting one. Their responce was they are swamped with work so it would not be delivered for another month. I responded that this was OK for me bacause I will not be back in the US for a few more weeks (now the Summit of the Americas is over, I get to return to the US). I am expecting an answer as to wether or not they will build me one.

That does look nice! Brings back memories when I got my slimline. Mine is the rough cut.

detoursusa_bumper5.jpg

detoursusa_bumper15.jpg

BTW, Mine was the first to have the tilted tire carrier. When I asked if that could be done Mark said "No one's ever asked for that before." lol

DETOURS does beautiful work. I just installed a custom winch bumper they built for me. Love it.

Ok I have to throw in a picture of my DETOURS winch bumper...

bumper47.jpg

Last edited:
Back