• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DetoursUSA Slimline bumper

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
After 3 weeks, it finally arrived!

detoursusa_bumper.jpg

only 3 weeks? nice! I was thinking about getting the all-diamond plate version, whenever I get the funds (locker and gears first)

Looks great. Did you have them angle the tire in towards the window? Love the way that looks, can you take a side pic in the daytime so I can see it better? Also, PM me your name or something so I can tell Detours what I want when I order mine lol. (but seriously, can you?)

Oh, and wow a 32" tire looks huge back there. Guess I'll have to prepare for that.

i think thats how all the slimline bumpers are made? i agree with everyone above though, looks awesome!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yea it got dark so the last pictures didn't come out very well.

Yes it is angled. Mark said "No one's ever asked for that before..."

He even offered the original straight tire carrier piece if I changed my mind later, I won't this looks great to me!

I'll have more pictures up tomorrow.

PM sent.

pyrotyro said:
looks sweet! and you shouldnt ruin it with bushwackers!!

Sorry dude, but it is already cut for the bushwackers.... (I LIKE THEM!) lol

detoursusa_bumper3.jpg

Hey Tony...........clean your garage....lol!!

Yea, 3 weeks is pretty good for 'made to order'...

Detours is currently in the middle of moving to our final place of rest after renting a used car lot to work from for the last 6 months.
Our 'new building is up and we're currently on the back-side of the move which unexpectedly came a little early due to our current shop has been already rented out. As a result, we're still building walls & finishing up some wiring at the same time we're moving.......we should be back on track and burning wire again by Sunday/Monday. (Labor Day means 'work'.....right?)

This said, if you have a current order with us, expect about a week delay, I appoligize for this, I did attempt to work around the orders and the move, unfortunitly no matter how hard you plan, Murphy shows up. Watch for a NEW phone number on the website as we were'nt able to retain our old number.

Sorry for the HI-JACK........and thanks for the kind words concerning our current and expanding products. Nice install TM, and thanks again!

Detour said:
Hey Tony...........clean your garage....lol!!

Yea, 3 weeks is pretty good for 'made to order'...

Detours is currently in the middle of moving to our final place of rest after renting a used car lot to work from for the last 6 months.
Our 'new building is up and we're currently on the back-side of the move which unexpectedly came a little early due to our current shop has been already rented out. As a result, we're still building walls & finishing up some wiring at the same time we're moving.......we should be back on track and burning wire again by Sunday/Monday. (Labor Day means 'work'.....right?)

This said, if you have a current order with us, expect about a week delay, I apologize for this, I did attempt to work around the orders and the move, unfortunately no matter how hard you plan, Murphy shows up. Watch for a NEW phone number on the website as we weren't able to retain our old number.

Sorry for the HI-JACK........and thanks for the kind words concerning our current and expanding products. Nice install TM, and thanks again!

Yes dear, wait I already have a wife telling me that!

No I understood it wasn't something you'd be pulling from a warehouse and shipping to me. I was only commenting how long I had to control myself in anticipation of the delivery.

I already sent you a thank you and I'll state some of what I wrote here. From the packing, the wrapping the look and feel, wow this is a really nice product. You never know when you see something on the Internet what kind of product you'll really receive. I am as proud of this bumper as I am of my XJ. What you have read about DetoursUSA is still true, good quality product and excellent customer service.

BTW Mark the tilt on the tire carrier is great, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the custom.

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
So how much does the custom touch cost? I'm still saving up for mine ... gotta add that too! :D

+1 I'd like to know if there is an extra cost. Mark, keep that build in mind because I'll probably want the same thing when I order :cheers:

detoursusa_bumper1.jpg

detoursusa_bumper2.jpg

detoursusa_bumper4.jpg

detoursusa_bumper5.jpg

Theres no extra charge for the tilt, dosent much matter if the steel's being cut at 90 degrees or something different and welded..........it's all made to order anyway so just ask! Tony was actually after 4 or so years in production the first to ask for the 'hatch cut' on the reviever, if it works for you, it works for me!!

Last edited:
Tony, any pics of how it mounts to the frame?

Also, what brand hitch is that and how close is it to the bumper?

Thanks,
Mike

PS Mark (DetoursUSA) any idea on the tailbone release date? :)

xj-boonie said:
Tony, any pics of how it mounts to the frame?

Also, what brand hitch is that and how close is it to the bumper?

Thanks,
Mike

PS Mark (DetoursUSA) any idea on the tailbone release date? :)

It's a factory hitch.

I have some pictures and I was going to use them for a write up. Only problem is I didn't think Mark sent me any instructions, so I just did it on my own. Later I found the instructions so I need to go back and do some more stuff! lol

Here is how I did it...

detoursusa_bumper11.jpg

Unpack your bumper....

detoursusa_bumper12.jpg

Get a before shot...

detoursusa_bumper6.jpg

Removed factory bumper and end caps...

detoursusa_bumper7.jpg

Removed factory bumper mounts...

detoursusa_bumper8.jpg

Cut the nut strap off so new bumper would mount flush...

detoursusa_bumper9.jpg

Here everything has been removed and the bumper is ready to slide on...

detoursusa_bumper3.jpg

Slide new bumper into place...

detoursusa_bumper10.jpg

You really need someone with small hands to get that last bolt started...

detoursusa_bumper13.jpg

Mount the tire carrier, spare tire and move your license plate over.

DON'T FORGET THE LUG NUTTS!!! I had to make a run to the autoparts place to finish things up.

Damn, that slant really looks good, but I might wait on this now and upgrade my rollers instead. Maybe I'll just wait for the tailbone, who knows.

sunburned said:
Damn, that slant really looks good, but I might wait on this now and upgrade my rollers instead. Maybe I'll just wait for the tailbone, who knows.

It's hard deciding where you will spend your Jeep money. I can tell you this. The wife and I went to Sam's Club today, and since I got that spare tire out of the back I had SOOOO much room for the groceries! It was great.

We have a hurricane approaching the area. All I have to do is throw some crap in the back, the family in the mid and front and hit the road, or off road as the need arises.

BTW, that tailbone is nice but I was rear ended for the first time about 3 months ago now. I'll take the diamond plate. I'm hopeful I'll get Detours to build me a battering ram for the front in the near future.

Ha ha...........unfortunitly for some.......I am the same guy who has built rams for law enforcement to batter doors down with, please dont ask me why they put smilie faces on the front of those battering rams........

Front end battering ram winch mount bumpers are available, you can view via our customers page, I believe it's the second picture down...........these can be custom ordered.....reason being is simply there are soo many front bumpers available for XJ's........we dont care to compete, it's there if you like the design and can be built to order.

Again...thanks for the intrest!!!

Detour said:
Ha ha...........unfortunitly for some.......I am the same guy who has built rams for law enforcement to batter doors down with, please dont ask me why they put smilie faces on the front of those battering rams........

Front end battering ram winch mount bumpers are available, you can view via our customers page, I believe it's the second picture down...........these can be custom ordered.....reason being is simply there are soo many front bumpers available for XJ's........we dont care to compete, it's there if you like the design and can be built to order.

Yes but I must have DetoursUSA bumpers front and back now. :D

Actually too soon financially for me to get into this now, but I was thinking something like this...

http://detoursusa.com/images/custom16-lrg.jpg

but for the XJ, and have the bumper extend to the sides. This is a good looking bumper. At first I was thinking of more diamond plate but I think for the front I'm going to go smooth. I read up on the Superwinch information and I see what you mean. I just need to go get a second job so I can get all this stuff!

Last edited:
Detour said:

Man, I love the look of your products. I will be ordering a Backbone system as soon as i can get some funds for it and probably some of those shock mount relocators for the rear.

Back