• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detorit and lock right on the street

Like i said, you can do it, you just picked the wrong axle to buy.

Ours is geared, locked, and has newer brakes. Theres no need to re-tube it. Brackets are like $250 for the kit.

My post implied that it COULD be done. You can find deals on Pirate etc, where people are going to a bigger axle and buy it there for about a grand already done. Plus factor in the cost of the locking hubs for the D30, its gears, its axles, its locker and your looking at the same prices.

Your fully rebuilding yours. Like i said, it COULD be done.

:rolleyes:

All your responces that say Detroit is good on the street are completly usless, unless they have a manuel trans. I had a detroit in my 90 XJ on 33s. It lasted 2 weeks then I yanked that rear end out of my rig. I have a daily driver and it sucked. Was good offroad but daily driving sucks! Dont waste your money, if you had a auto trans it is a world of difference. I went with a ected locker that I can turn off on the street and it is a much better ride on the street then the detroit. Offroad I could not tell the difference between the 2. I would go ARB or Ected

<Insert standard Detriot locker response here>

There is a learning curve with a Detriot. I daily drive my XJ on 33s, 4.88s, Detriot rear/Aussie front. Drive it for a week or two and try to adjust your driving style. Here's a tip - don't accelerate around 90* turns, it can and will engage hard and scare you the first couple times.

I learned to drive mine on the highway with no swaybars, and I'll tell you this also, with the torque steer it will push you from right to left with the cruise on as it applies and lets off the gas.

Keep it in for now, if you absolutely hate it, resell the whole axle and pick up another 8.25 for cheap.

IllianaXJ said:
<Insert standard Detriot locker response here>

There is a learning curve with a Detriot. I daily drive my XJ on 33s, 4.88s, Detriot rear/Aussie front. Drive it for a week or two and try to adjust your driving style. Here's a tip - don't accelerate around 90* turns, it can and will engage hard and scare you the first couple times.

I learned to drive mine on the highway with no swaybars, and I'll tell you this also, with the torque steer it will push you from right to left with the cruise on as it applies and lets off the gas.

Keep it in for now, if you absolutely hate it, resell the whole axle and pick up another 8.25 for cheap.

Are you driving with an auto trans?

Yes, however the learning curve still exists with a manual. I drove a TJ with a 5 speed/Detriot combo for a while. It is rougher than an auto, but still manageable if you learn how to drive it properly.

Back