• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decisions...decisions

cj8rckcrlr

NAXJA Forum User
ok...let me get some opinions....

i have some options for my jeep for this summer...

i can get a set 3/4ton ford axles (hp44 front & d60 rear) with 4.10s already for 700...(with the rest of the ford frame/drivetrain...400/4speed/205)

or...i can get a 1/2ton set...d44hp and 9in for 400....

if i do the 3/4tons...i'll go with 37s...if i do 1/2tons...i'll just do 35s...

either way i'll be doing my own radius arm suspension on the front...(Rubicon Express design)....

what do yall think i should do?...
both options are easily done and have their own advantages....just need some help on makiin the final decision....thanks

-james

The 3/4 ton 44 gets you zero advantage over the 1/2 ton unit, so I don't understand how you can justify jumping to 37's with that axle set. The front axle is the weak link in your set up, but I'd still rather have the 60 over the 9.

cj8rckcrlr said:
ok...let me get some opinions....

i have some options for my jeep for this summer...

i can get a set 3/4ton ford axles (hp44 front & d60 rear) with 4.10s already for 700...(with the rest of the ford frame/drivetrain...400/4speed/205)

or...i can get a 1/2ton set...d44hp and 9in for 400....

if i do the 3/4tons...i'll go with 37s...if i do 1/2tons...i'll just do 35s...

either way i'll be doing my own radius arm suspension on the front...(Rubicon Express design)....

what do yall think i should do?...
both options are easily done and have their own advantages....just need some help on makiin the final decision....thanks

-james

Is the rear D60 a 30 spline FF or 35 spline? I suspect it is a 30 spline and thus the 9inch will actually net stronger shafts.

On the fronts, I'm not sure with Ford, but with Chevy stuff, all 3/4 ton D44s used full diameter shafts and some 1/2 ton 44s were necked down after the splines. If it was similar on the Fords, the 3/4 ton shafts would be stronger.

Either way, there is absolutely no reason to be paying extra for the 3/4 ton set-up. The fronts are similar enough to be worth identical amounts and the rear 60 is no more valuable than the rear 9inch.
I would say a rear D60 could be had for $150 any day of the week and 9 inches will likely run the same.

C-ROK said:
Is the rear D60 a 30 spline FF or 35 spline? I suspect it is a 30 spline and thus the 9inch will actually net stronger shafts.

On the fronts, I'm not sure with Ford, but with Chevy stuff, all 3/4 ton D44s used full diameter shafts and some 1/2 ton 44s were necked down after the splines. If it was similar on the Fords, the 3/4 ton shafts would be stronger.

Either way, there is absolutely no reason to be paying extra for the 3/4 ton set-up. The fronts are similar enough to be worth identical amounts and the rear 60 is no more valuable than the rear 9inch.
I would say a rear D60 could be had for $150 any day of the week and 9 inches will likely run the same.

yea, i ran 38.5s on my 3/4ton setup i had in my scrambler before going to 1tons, and never did anything more that just breakin ujoints...so im not too worried...i'll more than likely do chomoly shafts in the front anyways...

and yea, the 60 will be cheaper to build and i probly won't ever break a rear shaft with a 37 (possible but not likely)...this thing is not my trail rig...i have a bobbed scrambler for that....so this thing will only see light riding...
im leaning toward the 3/4ton setup because it will just be a cheaper build...and you can't beat that...

cj8rckcrlr said:
yea, i ran 38.5s on my 3/4ton setup i had in my scrambler before going to 1tons, and never did anything more that just breakin ujoints...so im not too worried...i'll more than likely do chomoly shafts in the front anyways...

and yea, the 60 will be cheaper to build and i probly won't ever break a rear shaft with a 37 (possible but not likely)...this thing is not my trail rig...i have a bobbed scrambler for that....so this thing will only see light riding...
im leaning toward the 3/4ton setup because it will just be a cheaper build...and you can't beat that...
How much cheaper?
It's $300 more expensive to start with.

FarmerMatt's recommendation of the 60 being cheaper is based on going 35 spline in a 9 vs a 60. Yes the 60 is cheaper....... by about $300 (the cost of a new 3.250" bearing third member case).

I picked up a strange 3.25" case off of ebay for $150. I'm still running the stock junk but I can step up to a 35 spline locker and shafts if I ever have problems. Stuff for a 9" can be had really cheaply slightly used because a lot of drag guys run them and they experiment with ratios fairly often. My detroit and gears ran me less than $300.

And for a more common sense aproach, why do you need 60's if this isn't a trail rig? If it's going to see light trails the half ton stuff will hold up.

Randy's sells a 35-spline spool that works in a standard 3.062" 9" 3rd as well as having 35-spline shafts that are already made for the full-size truck housings. Just my $0.02 for a cheap 35-spline diff.

C-ROK said:

i just picked up 2 9's, and a hp 44 for 300 bucks last month. :)

cj8rckcrlr said:
yea, i pretty much have an endless supply of hpd44s, 9in's and 3/4 44/60s....so each setup could be easily done...i was just tryin to get some input on what to do...
there fixed it for you, and the answer to that question is send me a 60 and a 44 :) iwill pay for the shipping

The 9in has that extra bearing support on the end pinion the helps keep it steady up high loads. It's also nice being able to pull that 3rd member without having to take out the whole axel.

cj8rckcrlr said:
Seems to me that you could get the truck, take the axles, part out anything else that someone will take, junk the rest, and easily make up the $300 price difference.

I favor the 9" over a 60.

FarmerMatt said:
I like the 9" over the 60. Higher clearance, lighter weighter, & just more versatile in configs than a 60.

Yeah, if you spend $2k on a nice carrier.

Otherwise, the 9" is junk in my book. Stock, OEM housings, carriers, and pinion supports are junk. And this guy doesn't sound like he's into a high-dollar build.

The 60 has the highest pinion of any standard cut gearset, and a longer pinion than a 9, putting the U-joint that much farther out of harms way.

CRASH said:
Yeah, if you spend $2k on a nice carrier.

Otherwise, the 9" is junk in my book. Stock, OEM housings, carriers, and pinion supports are junk. And this guy doesn't sound like he's into a high-dollar build.

The 60 has the highest pinion of any standard cut gearset, and a longer pinion than a 9, putting the U-joint that much farther out of harms way.
both of you guys are talking like Californians... because you are. I always look at the persons location before giving axle recommendations, and since he's in Alabama that explains why he only had occasional breakage with a stock D44 and 38.5s.

I'd say the axle set choice is a toss up for him, and if he's happy keeping it with 4.10 gears ( :puke: ) then that is a clear cost advantage to the 3/4t set.

Back