• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decided to pull the head

RamlebXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Now no dirty thoughts! :laugh: This is going to be my weekend project, decided since there was a good ammount of sluge under the valve cover, I'd pull the head and do a general cleaning/new cylinder head gasket job on the Jeep. Question is, I love working on engines, and while this 89 cherokee is all stock, is there any harm I can do giving the heads a mild cleaning/porting.. nothing crazy, just to match to the gasket I'm getting in the head gasket kit. All I want to do is get rid of the carbon build up and possibly any casting slag, build-ups in the ports. Since I'm still using the crimped and smashed OEM headers would there be any abnormal pressure build up? or should I start thinking about a full manifold back exhaust system too?

You can heat and pound out the crimp in the dp. Weld any cracks you see in the header.

gradon makes a good point. The elimination of the crimp makes a difference.

I have match ported or gasket-matched the manifolds and head on my wife's XJ. Mild taper into the port for about an inch at the max. It runs good.

Down pipe. The pipe that bolts on to the exhaust manifold. There is a "crush" in the pipe that appears to be for clearance with the front driveshaft. If you have a 3" lift or better, you can eliminate the crush zone and improve the efficiency of your exhaust system. If you don't have a lift, you can have a muffler shop make you a new downpipe without the crush zone and make it swoop back so your front driveshaft won't hit it while 4 wheeling.

DP= down pipe.

Thats NOT what she said!

I was going to check the factory manifold for cracks, once i have it out ill see what i can do with it, i might cut the pinch out and weld some new pipe in there. Wish i had a bender, id do a whole new header! Going to start the teardown tonight, ill take some pics of the before n after, might be a bit more than a weekend project.

Back