• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

debateable, d44 vs 8.25

I too am in a similar boat. I am currently running a 27 spline 8.25 and I have a 44 waiting to be built. I want discs and a selectable locker and to be able to run 33's. It seems that the locker choices are more plentiful with the 44 and definitely more aftermarket parts and conversions.

For those looking at 9" axles, I found a good 9" site that ya'll might find of interest...
http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_inch/ford_nine_inch.htm

lapisxj said:
I too am in a similar boat. I am currently running a 27 spline 8.25 and I have a 44 waiting to be built. I want discs and a selectable locker and to be able to run 33's. It seems that the locker choices are more plentiful with the 44 and definitely more aftermarket parts and conversions.

For those looking at 9" axles, I found a good 9" site that ya'll might find of interest...
http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_inch/ford_nine_inch.htm

If all you want is selectable and reliable for 33s, stick with what you got. Buy the ARB 29 spline, add the 29 spline axles (since your replacing the carrier anyway), add ZJ disks (they basically bolt right on) and you're set for 33s. So the consensus says.

Island XJ said:
MistWolf, your offered combinations are high-dollar glam that's unnecessary in the Cherokee. A D60 is fine if you want to run larger tires, and not too heavy, definitely less to build up than a toy, and will take a lot more punishment.
It's not glam to keep the weight down on your XJ. I don't know how much it costs for the Toy Hybrid- however the quote I saw when they first came out, along with the stats, had me thinking it was a better value than my Currie High Pinion 9. And my HP9 was a better value than building a D60. With my D35 & HP9, the steepest gearing I can go with either axle is 4.88. The Toy hybrid will let you dip into the 5s.

Back to weight: The XJs greatest strength is also potentially it's greatest weakness: Unibody construction. Heavy axles, heavy bumpers and heavy rocker guards all conspire to crack the snot out of your Cherokee. Another disadvantage to heavy axles is a poorer sprung to unsprung weight ratio which leads to a rougher ride and the axles start to toss the body around more instead of the weight of the body keeping the tires planted and the springs compliant.

I'm not telling my brothers-in-Cherokees they shouldn't have dual D60s bolted under their XJs. D60s in the right flavor are strong. But they are heavier than needed for this application. Strong lightweight axles are not unnecessary glam and certainly not high dollar compared to a good D60

ChuckD said:
Your saying the same thing in most cases. More splines = thicker shafts also more spines = more surface area

so a d44 has thicker shafts... why the smaller axle tubes then?

Back