• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble from tires?

I dug out my Haynes manual: "Track Bar-to-Axle Bracket Nut.........74"

I thought that sounded bat-shite-crazy, I looked at the bolt again. It has 10.9 stamped into the head. The first bolt broke under the torque wrench, the second one is still working. I came to the conclusion the engineers specifying that was intentional.

Since I heard these are no longer available new, I have a handful of spares from the junkyard. I make sure to have a few in my trail spares when I go play.

I'd guess that's a typo or the metric torque in Nm rather than ft-lbs.

I'd guess that's a typo or the metric torque in Nm rather than ft-lbs.

Interesting! I fired up a digital copy of the 1990 FSM: "(3) Tighten the retaining nut at the axle shaft tube bracket with 100 N-m (74 ft-lbs) torque."

I would never think of that spec. changing from 1990 to 2001.

Interesting! I fired up a digital copy of the 1990 FSM: "(3) Tighten the retaining nut at the axle shaft tube bracket with 100 N-m (74 ft-lbs) torque."

I would never think of that spec. changing from 1990 to 2001.

I checked my 2001 FSM again, and in the chart section it does say 74 ft-lbs but the text section where instructions are listed says 40 ft-lbs! LOL!

If you find a source for new replacements, let me know. Otherwise, come get a standby before you put a wrench to the one you have. ;)

Back