• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dealership problems with recall 702

I think that was the thing warranty and recall time pays the bare minimum to do the job. As where customer pay is worth quite a bit more to the techs and the dealer. I am happy to say I now work for the local chevy dealer and they are more than happy to let the customer know about any problems under warranty or not. And needless to say the customers are happy too especially when its warranty work. But this is a much smaller dealer as well and sometimes we have trouble keeping enough work for 9 techs. Either its because its a smaller dealer or chevy's are just built better :)

But this is a much smaller dealer as well and sometimes we have trouble keeping enough work for 9 techs. Either its because its a smaller dealer or chevy's are just built better :)

My money is on being a smaller stealership. Chevy=:repair:

Just funnin with ya

:roflmao:

I will be calling tommorow morning first thing. I am curious what there excuse will be, "oh I must have typed a wrong number" even though he repeated the last 8 to me 3 times.I can't wait for this one.

Sean

After visiting Chryslers website I found that my vehicle has no outstanding recalls. The catch it that my XJ had this recall performed years back and it carries a lifetime warranty. I'm guessing he saw no outstanding recalls and just went off that and didn't check further into for me.

Sean

I checked and it said there's an incomplete recall dealing with "Brake Shift Interlock." Anybody heard of this or know what it is?

I declined this recall. However, one guy I know told them specifically not to do the recall work and he left his jeep at the dealers for some other work, and they did the recall work too. The manager said the recall wasn't optional. I'm sure it didn't hurt that they make a nice little profit off those recall repairs.

One more reason never to have any work done at the stealership.

Last edited:
I declined this recall. However, one guy I know told them specifically not to do the recall work and he left his jeep at the dealers for some other work, and they did the recall work too. The manager said the recall wasn't optional. I'm sure it didn't hurt that they make a nice little profit off those recall repairs.

One more reason never to have any work done at the stealership.

I have to say, If you bring your vehicle into my Dealership, you are going to get any open recalls performed whether you want it or not. There is a huge liability not only for the dealership, but for you as the customer. You go into a Dealership and we skip a safety recall and you go out and kill someones family because of it, no thanks. Even though it's 1 in a million, a dealership won't take the chance. Some states won't renew you reg if you have an outstanding recall.

Dealerships love recalls. The day's of dealers not wanting to perform recalls went by the wayside long ago. Yes they pay less than Customer Pay, but so what, they still pay fine, and the parts markup they reimburse you is cost plus 30-40%, More than a lot of customer pay parts.

Well I made an apointment for today at a different dealer, well see how this goes.

Sean

Finaly just got a call back from the dealer and they are not sure if its the pump or accumulator. They ordered a pump so I'm out of the Jeep till Weds. Then they will check the system again after the install. Just glad there doing that for me at this point.

Sean

my 1991 is in the dealer right now as we speak and they are doing "diagnostics" to see if it qualifies.. It wil be interesting to see what they say considering the problems and symptoms by brakes are having are identical to the explanation in the recall information.. check this out maybe it will help and give u some backbone when they try to tell u its not for your jeep..

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1991/12-...lls/index.html

x2 Its not just a Chrysler thing.

I had a similar issue with my Nissan Sentra (commuter car) and an emissions recall. I called the dealer when I found out that there was a recall on the TYPE of cam sensor that was used (it's a 2002 with 130K on the clock). I could not smog it because the same code came up time after time. They told me it did not apply to my VIN. I insisted that my VIN was indeed included in the recall.

After a little more research and VIN checking I found that it DID apply to my car. So I went to the dealer service dept. loaded for bear, with paperwork in hand. I was pissed. I was greeted by the service dept. writer, he told me it did NOT apply to my car, and that he knew it didn't because he'd been working for Nissan for a whole 5 years. I asked to see the service manager.

The service manager came out, knew I was pissed, told me it did not apply to my VIN because the work had already been done back in 2005.
Showed me the computer that told me where & when it had been done. Explained that when it's documented, the VIN falls off the eligible list.

This pissed me off even more, why the frack didn't they tell me that to begin with.

OP, your situation may be the same. I went round and round with the dealer, only to have them show me that it had already been done. Is it possible that the work has already been completed and your VIN is just bumped off the list? Just sayin'. Ask them, or ask Chryco.

Hasta

It's a Bendix ABS system... it should have failed another few times by now :laugh2:

That crap is unsafe at any speed, get it out of the jeep before it fails again at a less optimal time for you and anyone in your path of travel.

It's great to hear I'm not the only one with PITA issues dealing with jeeps "warranty" of the bendix ABS. Mine went bad a few weeks ago, the parts were on a 6 week backorder. I'm most of the way through deleting it (I'm re-doing all the wiring harnesses).

Still no word from chrysler on the new part (leaky ABS pump).

Even though this thread is 4 years old, complaining about dealer warranty work never gets old.

1990 Jeep CHEROKEE Recall ID from NHTSA: 96V260000
Auto Recall Date: 12/27/1996
Vehicle Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 52000
1990 JEEP CHEROKEE Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS). THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT CAN EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON SEAL WEAR WHICH COULD CAUSE PUMP-MOTOR DETERIORATION.
Defect Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE ABS FUNCTION WOULD BE LOSE AND REDUCED POWER ASSIST WOULD BE EXPERIENCED DURING VEHICLE BRAKING. THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WARNING LIGHTS WILL SIGNAL SYSTEM IMPAIRMENT AND THE BASE MANUAL BRAKES WILL REMAIN FUNCTIONAL.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL TEST THE VEHICLE'S ABS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. THE WARRANTY ON ALL ABS COMPONENTS WILL BE EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES (EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON ASSEMBLY AND THE PUMP-MOTOR ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL HAVE A LIFETIME COVERAGE). OWNERS WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR PREVIOUS ABS COMPONENT REPAIR COSTS.
Notes: CHRYSLER CORPORATION, 702

1. Dealerships are reimbursed--paid--for warranty work AT A RATE SUBSTANTIALLY BELOW their posted shop labor rates.

2. Flat rates on warranty work are LESS than the flat rates FOR THE EXACT SAME JOB paid by the customer. This is NOT on every operation, but a good number of them.

3. What that means is the dealership and the technicians take it in the AR*E on warranty work in the hours that are paid and in the rate paid for those hours.

4. If you think a dealership has done you wrong then you need to request to speak with the FACTORY REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE for your make of vehicle--dealers don't like that.

5. There are GOOD, BAD, and UGLY dealerships. There are GOOD, BAD, and UGLY technicians.

6. The person you speak with in the service department is a SERVICE ADVISER or WRITER. They are not technicians. There is also a service department manager that you can ask to speak with if you are not satisfied, and you can always ask to see the owner or general (managing) partner.

Sorry for thread jacking but I looked on that site for recalls and there is a slew of recalls for my 97 Cherokee, can I just go to a jeep dealership and ask then or have them fix this or do I have to buy something or do something to be eligible for this?

If they are outstanding safety recalls, you just need to call the dealer and schedule a time for them to perform the work. It's in your best interest to call them first and give them time to get the parts in stock before you drop it off-- nobody wants to have their vehicle sitting around waiting on parts if they don't have to.

Back