• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana44/9inch and a doubler

ok which 60 would be the best for me with wanting to keep the fourlink? a ff 14 bolt i know where a pile of them are. but don't know which 60 would be best? i am thinking this is the route to go because in the long run when i put alloys and ctm in a 60 i know i got a strong bad boy that i can romp on all day and not be super worried if i am going to bust it. how much reinforcement really needs to be done? the whole unibody or just the area's around suspension?
i would like to add sliders and a rear bumper.
an exo by summer 08'

the best d60 you can get is a f350 79 hp60, good luck on finding one though. it can be done with other d60's and all the information you need is here on naxja and on pirate4x4.com in the forums and in the tech department, i highly suggest reading the d60 bible in the tech department on pirate. the search is your best friend

You can probably make a D44 with chromo's and CTM's last with 39.5's in the mud, but not in the rocks. 37's are it for a well built D44. Personally, I've broken my front D44 more since I went to 37's than I broke my D30 through many sets of 32's and 33's. The new D44 CTM's are very stout, but even chromo yokes have a breaking point, and what breaks most is the stub shaft and hub. You could go with CJ spindles and do a Warn 30 spline kit to get chromo 30 spline stubs, but that's even more money. Me, FarmerMatt, Paul S., Dave T., Cracker, and others have all run 37's on a front D44, and we're all going front D60. I wish I'd never put the money into the D44, should have gone D60 from the beginning, but I had this illusion that I would stick with 35's........yeah, right!

If 39.5's is what you want to run, you have no choice but to do a D60, or some kind of D60 hybrid. If you have to go cheap, then you're only choice is a Ford D60. Shop around here and on Pirate and on E-bay and buy one, it'll cost you around a grand. Run it full width if you want, get some Spicer 35 spline stubs from Part's Mike or someone, get a 14 bolt for the rear and weld it, get some 8 lug rims, and give it hell.

You can put a four link on anything, hardly anyone building any more uses leaf springs. You'll need to reinforce the chassis of the XJ, not because you'll have heavy axles underneath it (don't know where people get that idea, the rig sets on the axles, not the other way around) but because you're going to wheel it hard and it will fatigue crack like crazy after awhile if you don't stiffen it up.

vetteboy said:
You might want to look into using a D300 instead, as there are kits that allow you to do this with the 231 doubler and not have to use a separate flip kit. I'm running this now in my XJ (with the D300 non-flipped though) and it's a fantastic setup.

Have you had this set-up out on some trail runs yet?

a d60/ff14 was the original plan, than i had many people telling me im wasting money, time its overkill... well thats who i am, i want it done right the first time.. so there it is back to a 60/ff14 combo than i am ready to go but i still want a locker in the rear i still wanna cruize around town in the pile. not trail only. are there ff14 disk brakes? would like to do full upgrade of brakes and steering wanna do hydro and i just want it a one time thing.

what i dont like about the 60 is there is so much of the differental hanging down on it... and if i dont need it to run 36s there i rather have the higher clearance 9"

Capt. Nemo said:
Have you had this set-up out on some trail runs yet?

Nothing too hardcore yet...mostly just messing around on some local stuff. I've been sorta trying to break it so I know what to expect. It does front digs like a champ and I did a 4k RPM clutch dump in reverse in front-wheel only, no problems at all. There's a small fluid leak which I think is from me not adequately sealing the clocking ring, I'm going to try and throw some really good RTV/caulk stuff on the outer edge of the clocking ring and see if that fixes it for now...I really don't feel like taking the whole thing apart again.

The only other thing I've noticed, is the cumulative backlash of all the gears in the drivetrain. I'm at 182:1 final crawl with this thing so there are a lot of components involved here. If I have it in full reduction mode, and I'm crawling up over something, when it hits the opposite side and starts going down there's about 3-4 inches that it freewheels before all the gears catch up and start braking rather than pushing. It felt really strange the first few times and had me jamming the brake, but now I'm used to it and it catches up just fine and crawls back down.

evrydayXJ said:
i still want a locker in the rear i still wanna cruize around town in the pile. not trail only. are there ff14 disk brakes? would like to do full upgrade of brakes and steering wanna do hydro and i just want it a one time thing.

Locker in a 14-bolt rear is no problem, a full Detroit for that axle is around $300, and there are ARB and limited-slip options too.

Disc brakes are easy, you basically end up using 1/2-ton front calipers and rotors.

DSC01561.JPG

Be prepared to spend at least 2x what you think the project will cost, and have it take 2x as long to complete. There are a lot of small (expensive and time-consuming) issues that pop up.

vetteboy- i see you basically have the same set-up as im going to have but i want to invert my springs and just do a 4:1 kit. about what are you total cost? did you shave the 60 and 14 at all? i know where a whole pile of 60's and ff14 are i hear the ff14 regularly came with detroits? if so in the pile of about 40 of them there has got to be one. and some of them have unservicable brakes?

I didn't go nuts on the 14-bolt...I just smoothed out the big lip so it wasn't as big a hang up.

DSC01550.JPG

I paid $650 for the 14ff, and it was a government surplus one from the CUCV trucks, 0 miles on it. Came with 4.56s, Detroit locker, and the guy I bought it from did the disc brake conversion on it. I had one already that needed all of the above done to it, and it ended up being cheaper just to buy the one with it all done already. Came from some guy in PA, he buys them by the truckload so he probably still has them.

Total cost, I have no idea, and don't want to know. It's been an ongoing project since the beginning of May (almost a year).

right on, have you had it on the trails yet? im not only tryin to build this at the same time but also my truck which is project tow rig. even with weak 10bolts:( it will be fine.
i dont know how to post pics otherwise i would. i could email them to you. but i think they are pretty sweet.

you guys have been good help thanks to all of you.
dan

No trail runs yet (still gotta finish the cage mounts)...I've just been driving it around the yard where I'm building it, testing for binding/driveshafts/etc.

DSC01593.JPG

If you email pics to me I can post them.

Back