• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana30 set up

2lazy2p

NAXJA Forum User
Could one of the PatternMeisters look at this pattern, I set it up as in the factory specs with depth gauge. Numbers on backlash are good as well as preloads. I am new at this. thanks

DSC00024.jpg
DSC00026.jpg

2lazy2p said:
Could one of the PatternMeisters look at this pattern, I set it up as in the factory specs with depth gauge. Numbers on backlash are good as well as preloads. I am new at this. thanks

DSC00024.jpg
DSC00026.jpg

The pattern on the coast side (pic on the right) looks good. The contact point is centered both vertically and horizontally. The pattern on the drive side (pic on the left) looks both too high and like the pinion is too deep or the carrier shim is too low on the driver’s side of the axle. This is strange. The contact pattern should be opposite of one another if it is off like that. I am by no means an expert, but I have completed a gear set up recently. I used this tech article:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

It shows some contact patterns at the bottom. One thing to keep in mind is that to get a good clear contact you need to apply some resistance to the rotation. Re-check your backlash and bearing preloads and re-paint. Post the new pictures.

What was your backlash?

Thanks, I have a little work to do. will re-post this afternoon with new pictures with resistance and the numbers. Thank you

Thanks for your help.
Backlash is .003
preload is about 44-45 inch pounds

I put as much resistance as I could by myself with rags etc.

Coast Pattern
DSC00028.jpg

Drive Pattern
DSC00027.jpg

I like the Coast pattern, drive looks better to me with resistance, toward inside some but isn't that preferred than toward the outside of the ring. (heel and toe confuses me, I need to learn the nominclature though). Thanks for your reply and feed back.

.003 is a bit tight. .005-.009 is spec, and running it tighter than that can lead to a lot of heat during initial break-in, which you don't want.

Preload should be measured without the ring gear installed - just torque to rotate the pinion assembly by itself. This should also be the LAST thing you set, as the preload shims will depend on the amount of depth shims.

Loosening the backlash should being the pattern a little more towards the outside...but especially on something as little as a D30, having it a little too far inside isn't a bad thing (this is a 'competition pattern', which causes the pattern to center when the gears deflect from applying torque).

I'd try and open up the backlash to within the spec range, but you're headed in the right direction.

I agree, coast pattern looks perfect, drive, not so much. Im not sure what that means. I would say that your backlash was too great, but with .003 backlash that has to be at the bottom of the threashold. I think you would want to move say .003 worth of shim from the non ring gear side of the carrier to the ring gear side carrier bearing and try to move your pinion back about .006. You are going to have to play with it. Unless someone has a better answer...

My D60 went in with a first time go, the D44 took about 6 tear down and rebuilds before I got it right...

rcmf5525 said:
I agree, coast pattern looks perfect, drive, not so much. Im not sure what that means. I would say that your backlash was too great, but with .003 backlash that has to be at the bottom of the threashold. I think you would want to move say .003 worth of shim from the non ring gear side of the carrier to the ring gear side carrier bearing and try to move your pinion back about .006. You are going to have to play with it. Unless someone has a better answer...

My D60 went in with a first time go, the D44 took about 6 tear down and rebuilds before I got it right...

Shouldn't he move shims opposite of what you stated to increase the backlash. Taking .003 out of the Ring Gear Side and moving them to the None Ring Gear Side. That should move the ring gear away from the pinion and increase BL.

P1atinum said:
Shouldn't he move shims opposite of what you stated to increase the backlash. Taking .003 out of the Ring Gear Side and moving them to the None Ring Gear Side. That should move the ring gear away from the pinion and increase BL.

I am telling him to increase the shim on the ring gear side of the carrier (decrease the backlash, move the ring gear closer to the pinion) and move the pinion further back (increases backlash). Lots of thing have effects on other aspects of the gear contact. If his preload is good he does not have to add or remove any shim, just move the shim around to fine tune. It gets aggravating at times...

any progress updates??

yes, thanks, work has interfered with my playing so I had to throw the cover on and move the machine. I made the shim change as suggested backlash increased to .008 and pattern on drive side shifted slightly toward the outside of the ring gear, coast pattern stayed good, I am pleased and now better educated, my daughter took our digital camera on a trip. I'm sorry no pictures unless I go back into diff for some reason. I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions which help me to continue to polish this awesome machine and bring it closer to perfection. I can't believe all that I am learning about mechanicing auto science doing this and this forum is the best. Thanks again:clap:

Back