• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60's NEW

Okay time to get back on track with the actual fun part of wheeling.

Been thinking different ways and were to mount the following stuff.
-Gas tank
-Tuffy Rear storage draw
-Rear winch
-spare parts

What ya'll think of mounting the tank were the rear seat is at and then mount the Tuffy Rear storage box behind that and shafts', hubs, drivelines ect. can fit all around those. Then I would make the entire top one big shelf for camping gear or maybe even a bed(Out of the rain and cold).

The reason why I thought of this is the XJ body is already top heavy enough so if I mount the tank in the rear up inside the cab, then I would have to mount the Tuffy Drawer above that (which would be filled with alot of heavy ass tools). Thus making the Heep more prone to roll overs.

Anyone got info on this. Personaly never read anyone doing this or never seen it either. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work.

Why not just put a skid over the tank and not bring it inside? If you intend to drive this rig on the street, you may have problems with smogging it in CA. Also, I'm not sure the tank will fit where the rear seat is. With as many questions on everything as you're asking, my recommendation would be to take your time, get more experience wheeling the XJ, and READ! :D There's lots and lots of info available here. XJs running nearly every combination of 1 ton axles possible.

Also, why switch to a 2000-2001? The 98 has a more reliable head and you can get more in resale for the HP30 than the LP30.

Why not just put a skid over the tank and not bring it inside? If you intend to drive this rig on the street, you may have problems with smogging it in CA. Also, I'm not sure the tank will fit where the rear seat is. With as many questions on everything as you're asking, my recommendation would be to take your time, get more experience wheeling the XJ, and READ! :D There's lots and lots of info available here. XJs running nearly every combination of 1 ton axles possible.

Also, why switch to a 2000-2001? The 98 has a more reliable head and you can get more in resale for the HP30 than the LP30.

With my current setup with 6.5" lift i have Lready had clearence issues and havent even gone the places that ive wanted to.

As for read aloy more. Ive spent the past year and a half reading up on builds and blogs and have never actually heard of anyone doing this.

Also as for tha cal smog issue i actually never thought of that. Thats why i like to ask for your opinion. If i do move the tank i can Get the heep registered in Nevada.

As for the 2000-2001 year model i kniw about the head issues and dont really care about the resale prices. Ive been on craigslisy for the past year and the 98's very rerly pop up, that is stock and low miles. I currently have a 98 and have had ZERO issues with motor and tranny. Just the normal wear and tear items. I still may go with a 98. Still up in the air on the year platform.

if you are planning on only running 35's what is the point of using d60's?
you are going to loose a ton of ground clearance and add a 1/2 ton of weight.
you should seriously look at using d44's & save the extra few thousand bux.
if you are really dead set on using 60's then i would first look into building a '78-'79 f350 axle, or blow the extra bux on currie rock jocks with xj mounts factory installed.

He's looking at 35s-37s.

98XJ, I may have missed this, but are you building this as a second XJ, or are you planning on selling your current and building the next one? If you're only gonna have one XJ, why not just build what you have with the 60s and everything?

If you live in CA and have a CA license, I would be very wary about registering in another state. CA is kind of picky about that kind of thing. I don't know exactly what problems it causes, but I know it could cause problems.

if you are really dead set on using 60's then i would first look into building a '78-'79 f350 axle, or blow the extra bux on currie rock jocks with xj mounts factory installed.
whats the big deal bout the 78-79 housing cept they cost a rediculous amout of money

whats the big deal bout the 78-79 housing cept they cost a rediculous amout of money

They have the most amount of room on the drivers side to mount coil buckets.

He's looking at 35s-37s.

98XJ, I may have missed this, but are you building this as a second XJ, or are you planning on selling your current and building the next one? If you're only gonna have one XJ, why not just build what you have with the 60s and everything?

If you live in CA and have a CA license, I would be very wary about registering in another state. CA is kind of picky about that kind of thing. I don't know exactly what problems it causes, but I know it could cause problems.

I am actualy seeling my current XJ and buying a stock one with a stick and low miles, if i can find one. The reason im doint the swap on vehicles is the current one has the unibody alreay twisted pretty badly. The paint is coming off all around were the big stress marks are at. Also running to many miles. But i could go on and on about reasons why I dont wanna build this one up.

Ya i hear you on the registration part, but the vehicle wouldnt be under my name for that so it would be 100% legal

I am actualy seeling my current XJ and buying a stock one with a stick and low miles, if i can find one. The reason im doint the swap on vehicles is the current one has the unibody alreay twisted pretty badly. The paint is coming off all around were the big stress marks are at. Also running to many miles. But i could go on and on about reasons why I dont wanna build this one up.

Ya i hear you on the registration part, but the vehicle wouldnt be under my name for that so it would be 100% legal
Make sure to get a written declaration from the person it's registered to. They wanted one when I had to borrow my Mom's car to go on base a while back. Don't know if CA would think the same, but better safe and all that...:)

I got a Dynatrac 60 front sitting in a shed, it's for my CJ-8 though. Man, that thing is freaking heavy. I traded it for a currie built 44 front. My brother and I could carry the 44, not a chance with the 60. 60's add a ton of weight, ground clearance issue is more with a stock JY axles as opposed to a new aftermarket one. There is the piece of mind of not a large chance of breaking a built 60 under a XJ.

I got a Dynatrac 60 front sitting in a shed, it's for my CJ-8 though. Man, that thing is freaking heavy. I traded it for a currie built 44 front. My brother and I could carry the 44, not a chance with the 60. 60's add a ton of weight, ground clearance issue is more with a stock JY axles as opposed to a new aftermarket one. There is the piece of mind of not a large chance of breaking a built 60 under a XJ.

Im putting in the 60"s cause Ill know Ill want them down the road later so i might as Well just buy one pair of axles. And yes there gonna axd alot of weight but i dont belive its going cause and really issues except worse mileage and more weight to flip back over when my tires are pointing towards the sky. Also yhe piece of mind is a biv deal for me. I hat to be the guy beging for someone to pull me out or loan parts. Id much rather be the one helping pull someone else instead.

Make sure to get a written declaration from the person it's registered to. They wanted one when I had to borrow my Mom's car to go on base a while back. Don't know if CA would think the same, but better safe and all that...:)

Well for legal jargon a cop that pulls you over in california anx asks why do u have a california license but a nevada registered vehicle simple answer every time would be im goint to pickup the owner of the vehicle that had to go to the hospital last night. With that he has yo ley the registragion go.. Know as for all the other illegal things now thats a different story.

Well for legal jargon a cop that pulls you over in california anx asks why do u have a california license but a nevada registered vehicle simple answer every time would be im goint to pickup the owner of the vehicle that had to go to the hospital last night. With that he has yo ley the registragion go.. Know as for all the other illegal things now thats a different story.
:facepalm: So, lie to get out of what would likely be a minor if not nonexistent problem...I've found life is just easier when we don't go out of our way to create new problems.

A good skid will solve a lot of the problems with our low hanging tanks. I've heard of others who cut a hole in the floor and bring the tank up about halfway.

Okay I'm almost done selling my current XJ. And with there being zero luck on Shitlist I've decided to put flyiers on stock XJ's that are every where here in the south bay.

My question this time is is there a way to read the VIN # to tell me what year the vehicle is. I can tell for the most part by just looking at the body but I dont want to bug a bunch of people for the wrong reasons. Maybe I'll be able to help someone out with buying there clean XJ and take it to the plastic surgeons off (My Garage) Hhahahahahaha

Well I've finaly made the first step into getting the new rig that much closer to getting back onto the trail. Finally after about two months of posting on Shitlist she's finally sold.

R.I.P
JeepPic.jpg

Well I guess next time you all see an update with this build, I'll have to start a build thread starting from scratch. Can't wait to be able to tear into another project, I'm bored as hell these days without any big projects.

Also I guess I can change my list of vehicles below.

When did you sell it? I saw your rig driving around in Pleasanton yesterday. Not sure if it was you or the new owner.

When did you sell it? I saw your rig driving around in Pleasanton yesterday. Not sure if it was you or the new owner.

sold her on Friday. It was probely the same one. The guy said he lived in Pleasanton. But any hpw thats pretty funny stuff.

sold her on Friday. It was probely the same one. The guy said he lived in Pleasanton. But any hpw thats pretty funny stuff.

Awesome. Itll be nice to have another XJ in town. Shoulda told him to join NAXJA!

Good luck on the build, cant wait to see it progress.

Back