• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Wheel Bearing Race Spun in Housing???

If it has c-clips the bearings will be snug but not press fit. It is a good idea to thoroughly clean the housing where the bearing sits and use red loctite to prevent the outer race from spinning. Let the loctite cure for a few hours before filling the diff with oil.
Dana 44s are not c-clip.

Thanks for the input!! The farther my guy gets into this axle, the more BS is coming up. Now we are checking to make sure it's not bent, because there was black RTV at the axtube joint inside the diff housing. IIRC, that shouldn't be in there. If the axles was leaking from there at some point, then the housing could be bent.....POOOOP!!!:bs:

You will find that black RTV was used when the axle assembly was assembled at the factory (Dana). It should be there until the axle was pulled down the first time.

Wayne

*sorry to hijack!!*

ok. Well, unfortunately for me my 44 is the odd ball. the races in mine were very snug, meaning they *were* slide hammer worthy. Could the original owner of the axle possibly have run it with low/no gear oil or something, and the bearings/races heated up allowing them to become a too-tight fit? Regardless of how it happened....what can I do to "loosen" the fit between the race and housing?? Any suggestions here would be appreciated guys :)

Thanks.

Hey guys!

Just took my jeep into the shop for a leaky left rear axle seal which has led to a mountain of repairs...Of course the shoes were soaked, so both had to be repaired, but what worries me most is that once the tech had torn the axle apart, he found that the left rear race was quite loose. With the axle partially disassembled, he showed me how the race spins easily as well as moving in and out - perhaps up to 1/4" (one quarter inch).

He said that this loose race was likely the source of the problems and that if I don't do something about it, I'll just end up trashing my new seal and shoes.

I'm new to lots of this, so I have a bunch of questions...How did the race come loose? By wearing down the inside of the axle housing, I suppose? If I do nothing about the loose race, is it true that I'll be back into the shop quite soon with another leaky seal?

He mentioned something about installing some sort of 'bearing modifier kit' that is supposed to allow me to fit larger bearings into the axle or something...I've never heard of this before and I can't find anything on Google about it... ?

He did mention that he has seen guys pinch up the sides to get it to stay put in the housing, but that he thinks the races come loose in a matter of a few weeks. If I advise him to pinch up the sides of the race and use red loctite anyway, will this fix the problem?

Is there anything else I should know, or other solutions I should consider?

Thanks so much, guys!
-Rich

It's perfectly normal to have play like that. Once everything is put back together and torqued down properly, the race stays put just fine.

It sounds like he's trying to sell you an upgrade that isn't needed for a "spun" bearing. If that bearing was truly spun, you should see an indication of that by a discolored bearing or wear marks showing the bearing was rotating under load.

If no marks are seen and there's no scoring on the outside of the bearing race, then he's BS'ing you.

Hey waxer,

Thanks a lot for the reply! That's the thing - he showed me the race while it was still in the axle, so I didn't inspect the outer surface - that's where the wear would be, correct? And I guess I'd see a bunch of scoring on the outside of the bearing cup/race if it is spinning around under load?

That's correct. You definitely want that race to be pulled out so you can check the surface that sits against the axle housing for wear. You would also see wear on the inside of the axle housing where the bearing sits.

Understood. So, what if it *is* spun (the race is so loose it is spinning around; not letting the bearings do their job)?

Should I take the red loctite approach with knurling the outer casing of the race? Should I go with the shop's recommendation with the bearing modifier kit thingamajigger? Something else?

No they dont or shouldn't!But,one of the best ways Ive seen to fix this is a full weld on the outside of the housing!

Well you'll want to first check the bearing race out and see how easily it comes out of the housing. I've worked on over 10 of these axles now and all of them had the races that weren't pressed in. One of them felt like it was, but it ended up being so gunked in with goo, that once it was cleaned out it also had a snug fit.

It's loose enough that you can slide that bearing out with 2 fingers pulling on it straight out.

One thing to consider though is it may have spun due to the 4 retainer bolts not being properly torqued down. If they had loosened up for example, then it's possible the race could have spun.

The visual inspection will tell plenty.

No they dont or shouldn't!But,one of the best ways Ive seen to fix this is a full weld on the outside of the housing!

Well either Dana had a massive quality control issue, or everyone's axles have somehow gotten screwed up from driving, then they really weren't. I've yet to encounter a press fit D44, and it seems like the majority of people here haven't either.

FIRST OFF, thanks for bringing this thread back, it has the good info i happen to be looking for.

SECONDLY....
weld where? on the face of the end flange? radially on the outside of the housing, over the bearing mount on the axle? surely you dont mean inside?

Well either Dana had a massive quality control issue, or everyone's axles have somehow gotten screwed up from driving, then they really weren't. I've yet to encounter a press fit D44, and it seems like the majority of people here haven't either.

It's been about a year but when I removed my old race from my 44 I had to use a makeshift slide hammer to get it out.

It's been about a year but when I removed my old race from my 44 I had to use a makeshift slide hammer to get it out.

ive ran into both with my limited experience with xj d44's. it was my understanding that it got 'wore out' and that made sense before... maybe its a little bit of both?

ive ran into both with my limited experience with xj d44's. it was my understanding that it got 'wore out' and that made sense before... maybe its a little bit of both?

Would make sense considering these axles are ~23 years old

im gonna spend some time on my d44 today, gonna try to get rid of my axle seal leak... this thread has inspired me, and informed me of what i need to look for.

i leak out of the wheel seal, but also spoof a lot out of my vent tube... maybe ive got a spun bearing causing excess heat? shall know shortly!

Update!

Ok, I just got back from the shop and actually personally inspected the race and axle housing. The race does come out with two fingers alone. I also felt the inside of the axle housing and there is a small groove on the top half of the housing where the race has worn against the housing.

So, it would seem the wheel bearing race is spun to a degree. What now? Every single guy in the shop agreed that band-aid solutions will just land me back in the shop soon, especially if I'm wheeling. They suggested perhaps taking a pop can to make a sleeve to slide around the race before putting it in. To a degree, I tend to agree that this is probably only going to work temporarily - aluminum cans are not known for putting up well with high heat, high friction endurance applications. :p

Are there other solutions? If I do a band-aid solution (pop can sleeve, tack welding the race, knurling the race, etc), will it truly be temporary, and will I soon be back in the shop with a leaky seal?

What should I do? :p
-Rich

Considering that the place where the bearing sits gets plenty of lubrication and there's only a small groove in the housing, I would reinstall the bearing in the housing with some red lioctite and after it has had sufficient time to cure, refill it and go. A new bearing might fit better as well.

Back