• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 owners....Got a quick question

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
Can a D44 owner please tell me what the measurement is from the very bottom of the axle housing (or bottom edge of cover) up to the center of the fill plug?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

D44.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried to measure, and it's roughly 4.25". It's not an easy measurement to make in the parking lot!! I held a wooden ruler vertically with the tip at the center of the fill plug, put the top of my hand on the bottom of the diff, slid it over, and it came to right about 4.25". Keep in mind the measurement will change as the axle tube is rotated. I made the measurement on an XJ with 3" lift and no shims on the rear axle. Oh, and that is on the stock cover from an 87XJ.

My other XJ has a Solid or Ruff Stuff one on the rear and the fill plug is higher.

Last edited:
Why?Its going to depend on the cover.I have 2....4.5" and 6.5" !!

The D44 covers came with 2 different fill plug levels. The one in your picture, and one that's higher up.

I am looking for the stock cover that came on an XJ Dana 44. I am installing an ARB cover and ARB says to make a mark on the dipstick at the OEM fill plug level, but unfortunately, I do not have an OEM XJ D44 cover.

Chris

here is a pic of mine, the one I measured from, when I was installing it. Oh how shiny it was!! Looks to be the same as the one you have pictured.

Dsc00959.jpg

Diff cover....dipstick????

Fluid level needs to be adjusted to your application(pinion angle).I like mine where there is 1/4" in the axle tubes!

mjma said:
here is a pic of mine, the one I measured from, when I was installing it. Oh how shiny it was!! Looks to be the same as the one you have pictured.
Diff cover....dipstick????
ARB cover
76480-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Back